Pets Keepers Guide Forums
What is the smallest mammal pet? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Forum for all other mammal pets (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Forum-for-all-other-mammal-pets)
+--- Thread: What is the smallest mammal pet? (/Thread-What-is-the-smallest-mammal-pet)

What is the smallest mammal pet? - Ram - 04-25-2012

Any idea on what the smallest mammal pet is?

Talking about the exact species, not a general family of animals.

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - Karenskatz - 04-27-2012

I'm guessing mice.

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - Thor - 04-27-2012

If you think about mammal, mice are probably the smallest.

A few cute photos I found,
[Image: the_smallest_pets_640_08.jpg]

[Image: the_smallest_pets_640_10.jpg]

[Image: the_smallest_pets_640_21.jpg]

Some monkeys are tiny too. Look at how small they are grabbing onto the human fingers.
[Image: the_smallest_pets_640_31.jpg]

[Image: the_smallest_pets_640_22.jpg]

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - mora2000 - 07-17-2012

Can't think of anything smaller than a mouse...

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - Rube - 06-04-2013

I would think there are some rodents smaller than a mouse that could be kept as pets. I know in the wild there is a species of pygmy shrew. There are also many different mouse species and mouse breeds. The European wood mouse, for example, is smaller than a house mouse, but it is not really a suitable species to keep as a pet. A wood mouse is a wild creature that is very nervous and jumpy. I nursed an injured wood mouse for a few days. It leaped out of its box and ran off as soon as it was better.

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - BWP - 06-14-2013

The smallest mammal pet I've ever seen in real life so far (none of those exotic tiny marmoset monkeys!) was a baby sugar glider that my neighbor in Malaysia had bought from a pet shop in Georgetown, Penang.
The sugar glider he had was about 6 inches long and enjoyed curling up in his pocket. It was adorable and was apparently some kind of gliding marsupial that (when it was more mature) could glide through the air from tree to tree. He fed it a mix of live crickets and mealworms and supplemented it's diet with fruit and vegetables.

I'll try to post some photos later.

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - nafretiti - 06-18-2013

I was curious to what the answer would be so did some research,in a previous post someone said one of the shrews were the smallest mammals in the world,well they were correct according to the stuff I looked at. The animal is called Etruscan Shrew, it has a few other names as well but to me that is pretty interesting. It is good to know that even though tiny you can still be cute and people will want you!

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - Happyflowerlady - 08-02-2013

The pictures that are supposed to be a baby mouse are actually hamsters. A mouse has a long tail, and a hamster as a very short tail. If you look at the cute little guy in the pictures, you can see that he has a very short tail, so that is a hamster.
Almost the same size as a mouse, and extremely cute and wonderful pet though. We had several hamsters when my kids were little, and we really enjoyed their antics a lot.

RE: What is the smallest mammal pet? - Writer E - 08-17-2013

It was already mentioned, but I would have said "sugar glider". I'm not sure they are the smallest of mammal pets, but they are tiny. I took care of a couple of sugar gliders and they were so cute. Some places even sell pouches, called bonding bags, that a person could wear with the sugar glider riding inside the pouch. These marsupials are nocturnal, so a potential owner would have to aware of that. They also need a tall cage, like an aviary, so they could have room to jump and glide. This website has plenty of information about sugar gliders: http://www.sugarglider.com/