Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Bird Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Bird-Forum)
+--- Forum: General bird (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-bird)
+--- Thread: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? (/Thread-Is-round-cage-bad-for-birds-Round-cage-or-rectangular-cage)

Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - Ram - 04-30-2012

What kind of cage would you use for a bird? Round cage or rectangular cage?

The other day I heard someone say round cages shouldn't be used for birds, He said because when birds are scared they naturally want to retreat to a corner of the cage, and round cage provides no such corner.

I have never heard of this before, and I do not see how birds get scared that easy after already adapted to the new environment. I just do not see a need for them to retreat at all, let alone into a corner. Not to mention in the wild there is nothing natural for birds being in a corner, they have no corner to retreat to nor they would want to be stuck in a corner if there is danger.

What is your opinion?

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - Rube - 03-16-2013

I would say that size is more important than shape, and a rectangular cage would provide more space. A small bird needs sufficient space to fly around in, and it is preferable to have more than one small bird in a cage, so it has company. A large parrot can spend some time on its own in a cage but would also need to be allowed out to exercise and spread his wings.

A rectangular cage might be best for small species of birds, but if you house them in a round cage you could provide a 'safety corner' with some twigs or a nesting box for them to use as a retreat.

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - 4sweed - 03-17-2013

The two parrots I had came with a tall round cage. Although, it made it easier to catch them, it did not provide a place for them to fly or stretch their wings. I used to hose them for baths which they loved, but wished I had more room to give them a bath pan. I was always banging my hands on the sides of the cage and the door openings were too small.
So I guess my answer would be, depends on the size or type of bird. Big ones like parrots I would give a rectangular large cage and small birds either type would work.

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - jenb128 - 03-19-2013

My avian vet told me that a rectangular or square cage is better than a round cage for exactly that reason - birds like to have corners to retreat to.

I can attest to the fact that birds do get scared of random things even after adapting to their environments. Loud noises from outside, me accidentally bumping into his cage, an unfamiliar object in the room, etc. My bird even freaked out a couple of weeks ago when my husband changed the month on the calendar. The picture for March was a blue jay, and my husband brought it over to show me because I love blue jays. Buzzy had been sitting on my shoulder at the time, and when he saw the picture, he panicked and tried to fly away. It's that whole "prey animal flight response" defense mechanism. Anyway, when something scares him and he's in his cage at the time, he does like to hang out near one of the back corners.

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - RiF - 04-16-2013

Besides the being scared issue the round cages bring, and the flight space advantage of the rectangular ones, rectangular cages tend to be better for climbing around, and parrots usually love climbing around and sliding down the bars. It's a good in-cage workout for them. It's also easier to fit toys and perches in them, as most are designed for rectagular cages.

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - SueA555 - 08-14-2013

Rectangular cages are definitely better. They provide more space for the bird to move around, fly or do other forms of exercise. There should also be some horizontal bars in the cage, so that the birds can climb around.

Birds do get scared of new things. My parrot is afraid of new people, loud noises, and the dog. The dog and bird are kept apart, although the dog has no real interest in the bird.

It's always good to get the largest cage that you can. Birds spend a lot of time in their cages, and need to move around.

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - A0130 - 09-01-2013

I would say that round cages are mainly an issue because of the direction the bars go. Most commonly in round cages, the bars go vertically. This is bad for birds because they need horizontal bars to comfortably move about their cage. Also, horizontal bars make it easier to hang toys, treats and other goodies.

Therefore, rectangular cages are usually better. Birds like to be up high. Rectangle cages provide more options for the bird to get as high as possible.

Birds do get scared and do seek protection. My lovebird does go in the corner when he is scared. He also hides behind his rope perch and stays very still. In a round cage I'm sure he would just find a new place to "hide".

I would stay with rectangular cages mainly because of the importance of horizontal bars.

RE: Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? - TheBrit - 09-30-2013

I guess really it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer rectangular. Most cages tend to be kept on a piece of furnature which is against a wall. The cage also tends to be pushed to the rear. Birds do sometimes get frightened and like to perch at the rear of the cage where they know nothing can approach on their blind side.
If the cage is for parrot like a taller rather than longer cage is a better one. Budgies, cockatiels and lovebirds all like to climb up and down.