Pets Keepers Guide Forums
DIY Filter Media - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Fish Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Fish-Forum)
+--- Forum: Aquarium and Pond fish Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Aquarium-and-Pond-fish-Forum)
+--- Thread: DIY Filter Media (/Thread-DIY-Filter-Media)

DIY Filter Media - rwzheng1997 - 05-14-2012

I heard that you can make your own filter media out of sponges, quit batting, etc. Do dish-washing sponges work?

RE: DIY Filter Media - Thor - 05-14-2012

You can use the sponge only if there is no chemical on it.
Make sure research carefully on how the particular sponge product was made before using it for aquarium.

What filter are you using? They usually sell filter media for each filter model at a decent price.

I had thought of DIY sponge as filter media too, but I couldn't risk it. Sometimes there is no way to find out what kind of chemical treatment the random sponge you buy had gone through.

RE: DIY Filter Media - rwzheng1997 - 05-14-2012

I decided to use this thing that I am pretty sure is quilt batting. I've read many articles/forums where people use this quilt batting. My water is slightly colored, and if it clears in the morning (9 hours from now), then it probably works.

Also, this question is slightly off topic. When I turn my light on, only one fish starts swimming against one wall. I think there is a reflection, but its been rubbing its face against it up and down for hours. Any thoughts?

RE: DIY Filter Media - Thor - 05-14-2012

In order for us to help you with the most accurate answers, it is the best if you can also answer our questions. Such as what filter you have, and water conditioner, etc. Wink You never answered those when we requested such information.

If the fish is rubbing itself against something, it is a sign of "itch". It can be ammonia burn, or parasites.

RE: DIY Filter Media - rwzheng1997 - 05-15-2012

sorry about that! I have a Tetra Whisper EX70 filter with two "filter media spots".I used some quilt batting and the water has cleared up a lot. The water conditioner is Aqueon (Item #06003). THe fish stopped rubbing against the walls. I suspect that its just getting used to the feel of the new tank. The water is very clear now.

RE: DIY Filter Media - Ram - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 09:18 AM)rwzheng1997 Wrote: \ The water conditioner is Aqueon (Item #06003).\

That really doesn't tell us anything since we are not running that shop (whatever shop that is). So we don't have a list of items based on number. Wink Nor we would have the same item numbers if we do have a list of items.
Wouldn't it be easier if you just look at the bottle?

RE: DIY Filter Media - rwzheng1997 - 05-16-2012

Yeah, but there is nothing specific on the bottle.
There was a link on the bottle, and I traced it to its website:

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/tap-water-conditioner74704.htm

The pet store employee introduced it to me.

RE: DIY Filter Media - Ram - 05-16-2012

SeaChem Prime is a much better water conditioner for new tanks.

RE: DIY Filter Media - ftshiona - 06-19-2012

I use both quilting batting and 10 micron filter media in the canister filter of my 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. You can find a 6 x 3 sheet of 10 micron fiber online or in shops for around $7 - $10 and cut them to size. It does an excellent job of scrubbing the water, making it crystal clear.

RE: DIY Filter Media - Ram - 06-19-2012

(06-19-2012, 04:26 AM)ftshiona Wrote: I use both quilting batting and 10 micron filter media in the canister filter of my 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. You can find a 6 x 3 sheet of 10 micron fiber online or in shops for around $7 - $10 and cut them to size. It does an excellent job of scrubbing the water, making it crystal clear.

Hi, would you please show a photo of those micro fiber? I am not exactly sure what micro fiber you were talking about. Smile

For me, the filter system isn't used to filtering the water clean. It is just for biological filtration, which is for aquarium nitrogen cycle.

In fact I would try to avoid to have debris get into the filter, so I don't have to take the filter apart to clean it often.

I have an EHEIM 2213 canister filter, it has 4 layers of filter media - Ceramic rings, foam, ceramic balls, fine foam.
Take them apart to clean is troublesome, so I try to minimize the frequency of maintenance by keep the filter clean.

I installed another fine foam outside the intake tube just to prevent debris from getting into the filter. All debris should be removed by vacuum during water change. Smile My water is crystal clean too.