Pets Keepers Guide Forums
leopard gecko breeding - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Reptile Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Reptile-Forum)
+--- Forum: General reptile (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-reptile)
+--- Thread: leopard gecko breeding (/Thread-leopard-gecko-breeding)

leopard gecko breeding - Ram - 06-15-2012

How old before a leopard gecko reach breeding age?

How often can a female gecko breed?

Do you give your leopard gecko special nutrition treats for breeding?

How many eggs can you expect from one go?

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?

Baby lizards can leave their parents right away, right?

RE: leopard gecko breeding - Fishbone - 06-19-2012

Well, breeding leos is pretty easy, unlike some reptiles. If you put a make and female together, they will normally breed. They only other extra concern is to give the female a lay box to dig in and lay her eggs.

(06-15-2012, 09:53 PM)Ram Wrote: How old before a leopard gecko reach breeding age?

I would say atty least a year old, but size and weight play a bigger role here, just because female its a year old doesn't mean she is ready. It its possible for a female to retain enough sperm from one breeding to lay up to six clutches. Allot of people seem to think 50 grams is a good weight for a female to start, but I think next year I'm going to aim for over 60 grams.

(06-15-2012, 09:53 PM)Ram Wrote: How often can a female gecko breed?

You can breed a female more than once a year but most of the time one breeding is enough to produce 4-6 clutches, which is enough for a female, and then let her recover until the next season.

(06-15-2012, 09:53 PM)Ram Wrote: Do you give your leopard gecko special nutrition treats for breeding?

I try to make sure I keep the breeding females eating as much as possible, to keep their weight up between clutches, with plenty of calcium, and a multivitamin once a week.

(06-15-2012, 09:53 PM)Ram Wrote: How many eggs can you expect from one go?

Typically, there are two eggs per clutch, with 4-6 clutches per year.

(06-15-2012, 09:53 PM)Ram Wrote: How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?

Incubation normally takes from 34 days to add long as over 70 days I've heard, based on the incubation temperature. The warmer the eggs, the quicker the hatch. I've incubated around 85F, and I'm averaging 46 days until hatching at this point.

Yes, the parents are not at all necessary after the eggs are laid.

RE: leopard gecko breeding - Ram - 06-20-2012

Thanks for the information, Fishbone. Smile

What about the male leopard geckos? Do they also reach breeding age at one year old?

I also forgot to ask if the parents will guard their eggs?
Since you said the parents are not necessary once the eggs have hatched, but what about before the hatching?

RE: leopard gecko breeding - Victor Leigh - 06-21-2012

Just looked up leopard gecko. Didn't even know there are such things. This one looks cute:
[Image: leopard-gecko-hypo-carrot-tail.jpg]

Just curious. Why does the tail look swollen? Is there any significance?

RE: leopard gecko breeding - Fishbone - 06-21-2012

Ram, not really. The female its a bit protective while she is laying, but after that, no. And makes are sexually mature at less than a year, typically around 8-9 months.

Victor most lIzards store excess fat in their tail, and leopard geckos, along with fat tailed geckos and some other species, have notable fat tails. There is a great variability in the appearance of the captive bred leopard geckos, the picture you found above is of a super hypo tangerine carrot tail. There is another thread here with some pics of a few of mine.