Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Friendly Squirrels - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: General Pet Discussion Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-Pet-Discussion-Forum)
+--- Thread: Friendly Squirrels (/Thread-Friendly-Squirrels)

Friendly Squirrels - laurasav - 07-12-2012

Sometimes a squirrel becomes a neighborhood pet. We had a couple when I was growing up. The one squirrel I remember best was a hugely fat squirrel that roamed around the neighborhood, going to various houses and begging for food.
My dad has befriended many squirrels and chipmunks over the years. He calls all of them "Charlie." They follow him around the yard and he gives them sunflower seeds. When he sits down, the chipmunks crawl up on his shoe and will sit with him.
I was reminded of this the other day when my husband said there was a squirrel at our doorwall knocking on the glass. It was the weirdest thing! When I came over to look at it, he was standing there looking in at our room, but took off when I got close to it. I wish I knew what was going through that little squirrel brain!!!
I've never befriended squirrels or chipmunks before like my dad has. I do feed raccoons though that have been coming to our home for many generations now. It's not a good idea to feed these creatures because of the destruction and havoc they can cause, besides often being carriers of rabies. But I love the ones we've had in our lives. I'm partial to one in particular, a crippled coon with an ear torn off. He's recently aquired a mate, so I'm just waiting for another generation of babies! Big Grin

Does anyone else have friendly wild animals in their neighborhoods?

RE: Friendly Squirrels - Ram - 07-12-2012

It is quite common for us to have squirrels crawling on the wall of our house. Very often they would sit right outside the glass window. Most time they will run away when we get too close unless they don't see us due to the angel of light reflection. Birds are also common visitors, the closet they got is also right outside our window. One time there were a pair of ducks came into the front yard right under the window. We fed them with some bread. The neighbor gave them a bowl of clean water. They came back a few days in a row.

I have not seen any other wild animal in our neighborhood.

RE: Friendly Squirrels - TreeClimber - 07-12-2012

We have squirrels in our neighborhood. We have skunks, opossum, and raccoons, too. There is even a pair of ducks that come around every Spring and hang out for several weeks.

I enjoy watching the squirrels. They are very funny animals and quite entertaining. However, I don't feed them. I have a dog who is in the yard a lot. I don't really want the wild animals to get used to finding food in my yard. There is a chance of attracting the wrong kinds, too. Wink

More importantly, I'm worried about my dog contracting something from these strays. I have found raccoon poop in the yard on occasion. As I understand it they can transfer roundworm eggs through their stool. But, I do enjoy watching the animals as they pass through.

RE: Friendly Squirrels - Monica9975 - 07-12-2012

The first time i know that squirrels beg for food.Thumbsup
That hugely fat squirrel must be hungry and trying to fing an easy way to get food haha.
All the time i'm afraid of squirrels cause my grandfather asked us not to go to the moutains (with many trees) alone. He said there were many squirrels in the trees and the squirrels would come out to bited us. Wow,so scared,i thought squirrels were dangerous animals. Actually,my grandfather cared about us and he afraided of that we would go lost in the moutains. In a word,it's not safe for me child to play in the mountain in his eyes.
Not long ago,my friend sent me two photos about squirrels. That were so cute. One squirrel stands out of the window. Now i know that squirrels are in harmony with humans. They are lovely animals instead of horribleHide.

RE: Friendly Squirrels - andrew320 - 07-17-2012

She's not a wild animal, but just a cat. We call her Jean Arthur and she is absolutely adorable. She speaks a lot, wants belly rubs and rubs her body against our legs each time. She even follows us when we walk away.

The only wild animals we have here are raccoons and they'd probably kill us if we went up to them. If they bit me, I'd have to give it a rabies shot.