Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Lawn Treatment - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: General Pet Discussion Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-Pet-Discussion-Forum)
+--- Thread: Lawn Treatment (/Thread-Lawn-Treatment)

Lawn Treatment - DancingLady - 05-13-2015

A number of lawn treatments, such as Weed and Feed say you need to keep your pets off the lawn for a certain amount of time when you use them. If a pet walked on the lawn, the product could burn their feet, then they are likely to lick it off their feet and potentially get poisoned.

If you have a lawn, it's rather difficult to keep the weeds out without occasionally using a product like this. Keeping your own animals inside while you use it is not so difficult, but what about neighbor cats? Anyone have issues with this?

RE: Lawn Treatment - Bloomsie - 05-15-2015

I have never heard of this! Luckily, our cat is an indoor cat, but I know that if this can happen to cats, then it can for sure happen to dogs, too! My mom currently has a teacup Chihuahua that she often walks within the neighborhood. Who knows what neighbors may use this stuff? I should call her and let her know of this just in case considering that her dog is her utmost pride and joy (next to her children, of course).

Overall, thanks for your knowledge about lawn treatment. It's truly scary that there are so many methods unknown that can harm our pets! If only people had cared for animals that run about their lawn rather than ridding of weeds. Luckily, in California, we are required to have no lawn at all because of our drought. So we must have dirt everywhere which isn't visually appealing, but helping the environment and from reading this, pets too!

EDIT: I called her and she seemed calm about the situation because after every walk, she often has pet-friendly wipes that she uses to wipe the paws of her dog because he attracts dirt so easily. I guess that's a blessing in disguise!

RE: Lawn Treatment - Happyflowerlady - 05-16-2015

We always keep our dogs in for at least an hour or two after the Terminix guy has sprayed the yard, just to be sure it is safe. We don't use any kind of weed killer anyway; so that is not an issue. Usually, if you keep weeds mowed short and they can't go to seed, the grass will grow faster than the weed and take over the lawn.
When I had horses, the opposite thing happened; the horses ate the grass and left the weeds, and then the weeds took over. I had to move the horses, and keep the weeds mowed really short so that the grass would come back.
As far as keeping wandering cats out of the yard; that might be pretty hard to do, since cats go pretty much wherever they want to.
If you can use a non-toxic weedkiller, then you would not have to worry about the dogs and cats.

RE: Lawn Treatment - Jelly - 05-26-2015

No. Not at all.. my pets are allowed to go in lawn after couple of hours of spray.. And good quality sprays don't harm your pets at all.