Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Do you have your dogs groomed? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Dog Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Dog-Forum)
+--- Thread: Do you have your dogs groomed? (/Thread-Do-you-have-your-dogs-groomed)

Do you have your dogs groomed? - haopee - 08-16-2012

Does it involve a groomer with expertise or only yourself, a pair of scissors, a comb and probably a pair of clippers?

Grooming a breed with long hair can be tedious especially when matte and thick double coats are involved. Do you groom your dog? Or are you blessed with a short-haired loving pooch?

If you do have them groomed by a groomer, how much are you charged for it?

I have a Shih Tzu. Regular grooming should be done once a month (this is aside from his weekly baths and daily combing). Here in our country, we pay approximately $13 per session.

RE: Do you have your dogs groomed? - louise1341 - 09-06-2012

I have two dogs but have never paid for anyone to groom them. My oldest is a cairn terrier cross and her coat is quite coarse and thick. I generally use a stripping knife to thin the coat out and scissors to cut the fur around her face, tail and underneath. It's not easy because she sulks and hides at every opportunity but I normally make a fairly good job of it ... or at least no one has pointed and laughed at her yet! My other dog is a whippet cross with a very smooth and short coat. He likes being brushed but his coat is very easy to manage.

Do you Groom Your Dogs? - iluvmario - 09-06-2012

I like to wash and groom my dogs at home. It saves me over 100.00 for both my dogs every 2-3 months. It is really easy I use regular scissors and clippers. Do you groom your own dogs or do you pay someone else to do it?

RE: Do you have your dogs groomed? - MysteriousMommy - 09-09-2012

We have 2 dogs. 1 is a Pug and the other is an Aussie mix. The Pug has to be groomed. Whoever it was that said all short haired dogs didn't need to be groomed had obviously never owned a Pug! We have tried brushing our Pug daily and grooming her at home, but if we don't take her to a groomer her hair just starts clumping up and falling out. We have hardwood floors in our home and it seems as if I vacuum up an entire dog every single day. I've had her for over 12 years now, so you'd think I'd be used to it! Pugs are a wonderful breed, but I don't know that I'll ever own another one, specifically because of the hair.

Anyhoo...we take her to Petsmart and they bathe in special shedding shampoo, Dremel her nails, express anal glands, clean ears and blow dry for $40. We take her every month.

RE: Do you have your dogs groomed? - Evilsprinkles - 09-09-2012

No, we don't. Both mine are shorthairs, so the most we need to do, is give them a good brush down every so often with a horse brush (they're big dogs). We bathe and clip their claws ourselves, so it would seem very daft to pay a groomer to do it.