Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Snakes on a plane - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Reptile Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Reptile-Forum)
+--- Forum: General reptile (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-reptile)
+--- Thread: Snakes on a plane (/Thread-Snakes-on-a-plane)

Snakes on a plane - Ram - 08-30-2012

Well almost !

A Brazilian man was busted for trying to board plane With 27 Snakes.
Dal Maso purchased the snakes at the National Reptile Breeders Expo in Daytona Beach, Florida. He admitted he was going to carry the snakes into Brazil and breed them for commercial purposes.

He did not have the proper authorization to take the reptiles which included one ball python, seven boa constrictors, and 19 color morph corn snakes into Brazil.

He served two days in jail and was fined $6,000. Eek

Source news

I heard many of the snakes on the list could be found everywhere in Florida for free. Tongue
Do you need special permit to ship snakes on a plane?
Or is it illegal to bring these species of snakes into Brazil?

RE: Snakes on a plane - Fishbone - 08-30-2012

Any international export/import of live animals, especially Exotics (relatively speaking, to the countries of import/export), need proper CITES documentation and permits. Then there are any individual requirements each country may have, generally and pertaining to the exact species. You know the old customs line "do you have any fruits or vegetables?" You can't bring other living, organic things from country to country without flowing whatever exact conditions each country had for that item. The funny thing is the number of purple caught and jailed trying to illegally smuggle boas out of brazil into the U.S., and this guy is trying to snuggle boas backwards.

I assume he had a subspecies or morph of Boa constrictor that is not native to brazil. They are very stringent on nonnative animals that could breed with their wild populations. I actually called and emailed around the last few days trying to see I'd anyone I knew stuff this guy boas, and what he was trying to smuggle in, just out of curiosity.

RE: Snakes on a plane - Ram - 08-31-2012

I also thought about that since Brazil has amazon rainforests, there are hundreds if not thousands species of snakes there. Why do they want some snakes from the U.S.

I wonder if it is legal to simply fly with snakes in your package on domestic flight within the U.S.

RE: Snakes on a plane - Fishbone - 08-31-2012

Legal? In the U.S.? Sure, there aren't any laws against it. Most airlines have policies against it. You can ship most species of reptiles fedex, or with delta, using delta dash, with no inspections or paperwork, besides labeling the package "harmless reptile" and the actual species in. the package to comply with the lacy act.

Why does someone want snakes from the us? Why do er want snakes from brazil? Or indonesia? Or leopard geckos from pakistan? It's different and exotic. And there are primarily two subspecies of Boa constrictor in brazil, Boa constrictor constrictor, and Boa constrictor amarali. From what I've heard, he mostly had boa constrictor imperator morphs, hypos and such. And they can easily hybridize with other Boa subspecies, so I'd bet brazil wants nothing to do with them as captive pets. (Not that it every got to brazil or they had a say in it.)

RE: Snakes on a plane - SereneScales - 12-19-2012

It just worries me about what become of the animals that he was trying to smuggle? I think this was very foolish of him and harmful to the hobby...with things like the lacey act already mucking things up, we have this jackwagon bringing more negative attention to our doorsteps.