Pets Keepers Guide Forums
A name for pet snake? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Reptile Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Reptile-Forum)
+--- Forum: General reptile (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-reptile)
+--- Thread: A name for pet snake? (/Thread-A-name-for-pet-snake)

A name for pet snake? - Fishbone - 09-09-2012

So here is the latest addition to the household. A little white lipped python, Leiopython albertisii. At least I think that's the species. There was a paper a few years ago that redefined the Leiopython genus, which used to be monotypic but now contains 6 different species. Originally they were all classified as L. albertisii. I'm going to make a little research project out of this with the girls to confirm which species he may actually be, either L. albertisii or L. biakensis.

So enough about all that. He's cute, calm, and very sociable for a white lip. He's captive bred & only a few months old, and just had his first meal here last night. And if you didn't guess from the title, he has yet to be named...

[Image: 110419_246833_Large_HuBrRncOV8sVKg2.jpg]

[Image: 110419_246834_Large_yPkSv3nqNI0ql.jpg]

RE: I need a name for pet snake!! - Thor - 09-09-2012

Before we consider a name for your new pet snake, would you please introduce him a little more? Tongue It can help us decide.
For example, where is the snake originated from? If he is from France, then give him a French name. Just saying lol.

By the way, are 100% you sure it's a he?

RE: A name for pet snake? - Fishbone - 09-10-2012

I haven't sexed him yet, probably will next week, after he settles in bit. Looks to be male though. White lipped pythons are from the island of new guinea, , Papua, West Papua, and Papua New Guinea. As well as some of the surrounding islands.

RE: A name for pet snake? - Ram - 09-12-2012

Andrea. It can be used by both male and female.

I have a question. How do you remember who is who if you have a name for every one of the snakes you have?
It is the very reason I do not name my fish. Tongue They all look alike to me, at least for the same species.

RE: A name for pet snake? - Fishbone - 09-12-2012

(09-12-2012, 07:43 AM)Ram Wrote: Andrea. It can be used by both male and female.

I have a question. How do you remember who is who if you have a name for every one of the snakes you have?
It is the very reason I do not name my fish. Tongue They all look alike to me, at least for the same species.

Well, I think the short answer is I'm weird, lol. I can tell the difference, most snakes, the pattern is as individual as a fingerprint. Depends a bit on the species though. Most of the critters here are some subspecies of carpet python, and the natural variability is never ending, plus all the genetic morphs. All for of the snakes below are the exact same subspecies, coastal carpet pythons, Morelia spilota mcdowelli.

Coriander

[Image: 91785_208231_Large_dFMhtvA5uKFsNpT.jpg]

Tigger

[Image: 78160_191902_Large_yupAuHiWFG.jpg]

Dulcinea

[Image: 91753_225588_Large_mlzIUdBZdS5.jpg]

Arnie

[Image: 78159_222721_Large_sa3i3SAC3BN5.jpg]

So I can tell the difference. That's not even mentioning their personalities and mannerisms.