Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Have you ever assessed yourself as a dog owner? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Dog Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Dog-Forum)
+--- Thread: Have you ever assessed yourself as a dog owner? (/Thread-Have-you-ever-assessed-yourself-as-a-dog-owner)

Have you ever assessed yourself as a dog owner? - haopee - 09-28-2012

I try to be a good owner but there some times that bad things are inevitable.

According to most books, it's often the owner's fault for having a highly reactive, aggressive or dominant dog. It's either the owner lacks the leadership skills or he/she wasn't able to establish proper boundaries from the very start.

I see some people lead a calm and happy life with their dog and keep asking myself, have I done something wrong?

Have you ever asked yourself questions as to why your dogs got the bad behavior?

RE: Have you ever assessed yourself as a dog owner? - andrew320 - 09-29-2012

Since my dog passed away a few years ago, I often look back and think about how I dealt with my dog. I had since I was eight and had her until I was 20/21. She was a fantastic dog and I hope that I did the best I could to make her happy and comfortable.

I always gave her her food, I always walked her, I always tried my best to keep her coat the best and always gave her as much love as I could. Even when she was depressed because my mother and I were always away from home working, I decided to change my schedule around and even avoid going out so I could make her happy.

In the end, I always think I could have done something differently, but I will always love her no matter what.

RE: Have you ever assessed yourself as a dog owner? - TreeClimber - 09-29-2012

I assess my behavior as an owner from time to time. Usually, it's when I notice that Misha has been acting up in some way. She's hyper, not following commands, or being bratty. It can be frustrating.

I take the time to read up on dog training when this happens. It helps to find my focus and reminds me what I should be doing. But, I always see it as a learning situation, a chance for me to change what I am doing so that I can change her behavior. My experience with dogs has shown me that nothing is permanent and that dog's can be retrained at any stage. Sometimes it just takes a small correction to get things back on track.

Misha is a prime example of what you are talking about, Haopee. Her first nine or ten months, I did everything I was suppose to. I followed my books. I got her around different people. She was shy, so worked hard on this. I had her around other dogs. I started training her from the first day I got her. I was consistent.

Then, my Dad got sick and then two months later he died. He lived with us, so Misha felt his loss.

I was upset emotionally. In addition to that, I was preparing to move, so the house was in chaos. One day about a month after he died, I realize Misha was a terror. I couldn't pick her up without getting bit and she was terrified of other people. She was just awful. I couldn't figure it out at first. Then, I realize what was going on. While I was tending to my own needs, I was not tending to hers. My world had been flipped upside down. So, was hers. Because I wasn't acting as the leader, she responded in the only way she could by taking over the situation. It was a terrible time. Looking back, I could see exactly where and how it all went wrong.

But, it all ended up okay. I moved three months after my Dad died. Misha was back to square one as if I had never trained her at all. It took a lot of work and many months, but eventually she worked through her issues. She's much better now.

I don't think you could ever have the perfect dog unless you are the Dog Whisperer. Wink

RE: Have you ever assessed yourself as a dog owner? - dashboardc33 - 09-30-2012

My dog is not dominant and aggressive, but she is full of energy. I usually blame myself because of her hyperness. I know I should honestly spend more time with her and take her for walks, etc. I probably do not pay too much attention to her, or not enough for her. I know I should spend more time with her and I often put myself down for it. Thanks for the reminder! I will make sure I take her for an extra walk today. Smile