Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Dog Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Dog-Forum)
+--- Thread: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? (/Thread-Does-your-dog-prefer-the-cold-or-hot)

Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - dashboardc33 - 10-31-2012

My golden doodle is definitely a winter dog. She loves the snow and loves bouncing in it. In the summertime I have to trim her fur real short, and in the winter I keep her coat long so she stays warm. I can tell that she much prefers the winter than the summer. She is mostly an outdoor dog and will just lay in the snow. In the summertime, she is always going inside in the shade to stay out of the sun and heat. It is kind of funny, because we don't live in that hot of a state. We live in Wisconsin. It gets hot, but not overly hot like some of the southern states.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - sandooch - 10-31-2012

Well, we don't get any snow here in southern CA, but Gigi seems to prefer the colder months. She has really started to like wearing sweaters suddenly, which is good because the weather is finally starting to cool down over here. It gets really hot here in the summer; although, this summer came super late for us...like in early August. Then we started getting the over 100 degree weather. I can tell that even indoors and with the air conditioning on, Gigi is not as spunky.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - megsy23 - 11-03-2012

Our lab definitely prefers the cold. If it's even a little warm, she will move and lay down on the floor. Our doxie likes the warmth. He's very small and doesn't weigh too much though. His coat isn't very thick either.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - Victor Leigh - 11-04-2012

Candy likes it cool. No winter here but lot's of sunshine and heat. So Candy's favorite spot during the day is under my bed, way inside where it's dark and cool. Another popular spot for her is the abandoned goldfish pool in front of the house. She can sit in the water the whole day long, sleeping with her body submerged and her head resting on the rim.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - bellahpereira - 11-07-2012

I think my Bichon really prefers the winter. With his type of hair, he's also always having to have his hair cut in the summer and he gets overheated quickly. He enjoys going out in the winter, although not for walks. He enjoys being in the backyard while trying to hide in the snow or trying to pee on it. Last year, he spent a couple of hours outside in the snow and when we went to go check on him he had made a pile and peed at the very top of it Tongue I don't know it it's a territory thing or if he was playing but I do definitely think he enjoys the winter more.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - TreeClimber - 11-14-2012

Misha prefers the heat and Summer. She is always searching for the sunniest spot on the floor or my bed. She loves to sleep under her heat reflecting blanket even on warm days. If I have the space heater out, she is right there laying in front to get the warmth. I've seen her under all her blankets in 90F weather. She loves to be warm.

During the Winter, she is always shivering. She is only 10 lbs. and gets cold quickly. It doesn't get very cold here (we don't get snow), but she is cold when the temps drop below 60. She hates the rain and doesn't like to be outside when it's chilly.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - andrew320 - 11-17-2012

When my dog was around she always preferred the cold. When we would go out in the heat, she wouldn't walk around much and always preferred to sit in an air conditioned apartment. When it was winter on the other hand she had a fantastic time trying to run through the snow.

RE: Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? - pafjlh - 11-23-2012

My two dogs seem to be very much like the humans they live with they prefer the cold. I find that in the fall and winter months their more active their appetites are better. They also seem to like to be outside more and enjoy the weather. They also know to snuggle close together when it does get colder.