LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you talk "baby talk" to your dogs?
08-22-2013, 11:44 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
Do you talk "baby talk" to your dogs?
Just wondering how many of y'all out there talk "baby talk" to your dogs? My dogs are spoiled rotten and definitely "babied". I talk "baby talk" to them all the time. I feel like the crazy dog lady. They are so sweet and cute that I can't help it! Dogs are so loving and loyal to their owners. They are always there for me when I have a bad day or when I am upset. They may not be able to talk back to me but they are definitely good company and are my little shadows. Just them cuddling with me makes me feel better! I guess that is why it is so easy to talk to them like they are babies....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2013, 12:51 AM,
mommy42 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Do you talk "baby talk" to your dogs?
Aw!! Smile And, yes, I talk baby talk to my dog, Dutch. He is a mini schnauzer. Smile

I mostly do it after I've given him his insulin shots. When he holds really still and doesn't even know that I've "shot" him I go crazy with the praise and baby talk. "Who's a good boy?"!!! LOL He goes nuts because he knows that means he is getting a treat!!

My kids seem to do it more on regular basis than I do. Especially my daughter! I guess I would have to say that my son and husband don't really do it though! LOL

Must be more of a female thing? Smile
08-23-2013, 01:24 PM,
Coricopat Offline

I don't talk to my dog except in baby talk! Or most other animals for that matter. Yes, I'll admit that when I meet a new dog or cat, I'll immediately start cooing to them—"Who's a handsome boy? You are! Yes you are!"—even in front of other people. I've never had anyone say anything, however, and most people just join in Big Grin

I think it's very, very common in the US and northern Mexico (where I live) for people to talk to their animals in silly voices. The few times I've seen people talk to their animals in a normal tone of voice, it meant the animal did something wrong.

I was out all day today with my chihuahua and had a handful of people come up to him throughout the day and talk to him—every one of them in a high-pitched voice. Reminds me of this xkcd comic about cats.
08-24-2013, 01:18 AM,
mommy42 Offline

Haha! That is very true Coricopat! We sure seem to talk to our pets in high pitched voices!

It seems like my dog likes it too! He gets all excited when I talk like that. But if I do, there better be a treat associated with it! LOL I guess I conditioned him to it!

My daughter laughs at me because she says that I talk to my baby nephew that way too! I didn't even realize I was doing that until she called my attention to it!

Hopefully it won't scar him later in life when he hears me talking the same way to the dog!!! Smile
08-24-2013, 03:22 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
My voice also gets high pitched when I talk to my doggies! Ha Ha. I definitely talk "baby talk" to not only my sweet little doggies but to other animals as well. I will talk that way to a certain extent to a stranger's pet or my friend's and neighbor's pets, however I don't do the full blown "baby talk" that I do with my own. They would think that I was crazy!

I find myself talking "baby talk" to animals more than I do actual babies! Ha Ha. If I see someone when I am out and about and they have a dog with them, I am definitely quicker to go up to them and want to talk to it, pet it or even hold it vs. if I see someone with a baby.
08-30-2013, 11:28 PM,
MariaPamela Offline

I do talk to my dog in baby talk! Lol. There isn't any other way! Sometimes I get the feeling that she's looking at me, thinking "this lady is ridiculous." I just can't help with her her smooshy face! She's a Shar Pei so she always looks sad and it's just super adorable! I also make this funny nicknames for her and she seems to be getting confused what her real name is!
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM,
Tribie Offline

Threads: 5
I always talk baby talk to our dog. I even carry him like a real baby. I tell him that he should be noisy or too hyper and that he should be good becuase daddy is tired and other things that are applicable at the moment. I know he doesn't understand me but I'm sure he feels loved by the tone of my voice. When he has done something bad I become stern and I scold him like I would a small child. When I have this voice he sits down and becomes "good" just like my little boy when he was younger.
08-31-2013, 05:09 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Sometimes, I do that with my Chipper also. Usually, when he is just waking up in the morning, and he is still snuggled up on the bed and does not want to get up and go out side so he can do his morning chores. He will give me a miserable look, and a funny little growl, like he is saying he doesn't want to wake up yet, so then I talk to him and play with his little feet until he rolls over and let's me pick him up and carry him outside.
Then , he expects me to stand guard over him while he is out in the back yard, so no big scary critter gets him, so he checks to make sure I am standing there on the porch watching as he makes his stroll around the yard each morning.
After that, it is time to hurry back inside, and I make a cup of coffee, and give Chipper his little dish with cream in it. Now, he has had his morning reward, and is ready to start the day while we relax and I have my coffee.
Of course, if there is a muffin involved, then Chipper also shares that, so I would be talking baby talk to him then, too. He is just too spoiled....
09-02-2013, 06:59 AM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
My oldest dog, who was a coonhound, would often start to mock us if we talked like that to her. I was never entirely sure if she was doing it to carry a conversation with us, or was just flat out making fun of us because we sounded like weirdos.

I would talk with them in a calm tone, not necessarily a baby tone. I never wanted to talk to them in any way that might stress them out or get them all wound up. Sometimes my family would get them too hyped up from the way they were yelling at them, and they would be crazy for the next few hours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,395 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,934 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,603 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee