LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canine Diabetes - Times Up
08-07-2014, 10:54 PM,
Swoosieque Offline

Threads: 4
Canine Diabetes - Times Up
Last month, besides my husband having sinus surgery and I required an urgent eye surgery, our male Lab was having trouble walking, his left eye had also become droopy. His gait was not stifled as if he had had a stroke, it was more like stiff-legged. Oh, Buddy is 9 years old and has been on 30 units of insulin 2x/day for four years.

My Vet told me that Buddy's eye was a result of a mini-stroke, aka, palsy. He told me that his walking problems were due to the diabetes causing the kidneys to disallow the body to utilize protein - Buddy's muscles were withering away. I was also told that Buddy probably would not make it through this coming winter. I cried for two days afterward.

While I was still at the Vet, I asked if he could give us a prescription for Doxycycline just in case part of Buddy's problem was due to re-occurring tick-borne diseases. The Vet had no problem with prescribing the medication.

Within a few days, Buddy's ability to walk improved tremendously! He even tried running again like in his puppy days. I surely thought that his death sentence might be postponed.

Recently, Buddy has been licking one of his back paws. I had not noticed how bad the situation became because my vision is compromised after my eye surgery. I needed to use a large magnifying glass to really see the problem.

Egads! Buddy's paw looked as though he had chewed the tip of his "toe" off! I immediately cleaned it, applied Bacitracin and triple antibiotic ointment and bandaged it. I also made an appointment with our Vet and will be seeing him in two hours.

My biggest fear is gangrene setting in over time, or simply the increased problems which diabetics have regarding healing. My stomach is literally in knots this morning.

I wanted to post this in a Diabetes sub-topic section for dogs, but the "search" function is not working and has not been working for the past day or so.

Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 12:19 AM by hotie43.)
hotie43 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: Canine Diabetes - Times Up
I hate to here that about your canine it hurts so bad knowing that it is sick like that. I just want you to know if it is anything i can do just let me know because i know how you feel i have two one is a toy poodle and a german shepard and i love them to they are a part of my family.
08-08-2014, 05:17 AM,
Swoosieque Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Canine Diabetes - Times Up
(08-08-2014, 12:16 AM)hotie43 Wrote: I hate to here that about your canine it hurts so bad knowing that it is sick like that. I just want you to know if it is anything i can do just let me know because i know how you feel i have two one is a toy poodle and a german shepard and i love them to they are a part of my family.

Aww, thank you so much for your concern. Yes, they become our children, don't they?

Well, the Vet looked at the paw and said that Buddy chewed off the entire tip (first knuckle) of that "toe". He gave an oral antibiotic and a prescription pain drug, hoping the wound will heal rather than go gangrene. The biggest part the Vet is worried about is the bone which is chewed off. He's hoping it will "die & fall off" and on its own, otherwise, it will require surgery to remove the rest of that "toe".

I knew some distant relatives who had limbs removed because of diabetes. My heart is just breaking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doga: Achieving Harmonic Partnership Between Human and Canine Snowflakes 2 1,871 10-20-2014, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Human vaccine may help Canine Cancer patients TreeClimber 0 1,552 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Last Post: TreeClimber
  How many times a day do you feed your pooch? Pocs 12 3,957 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Last Post: MysteriousMommy