LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moths' attraction to lights and clothing
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
Moths' attraction to lights and clothing
Moths have a great attraction to artificial light and also to eating clothing, although the latter of which is something I learned as a child and haven't properly witnessed myself.

Could somebody please (pardon the pun) enlighten me on the scientific explanations as to why these moth characteristics exist?
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2012, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 03:13 AM by kyle_crafty.)
kyle_crafty Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Moths' attraction to lights and clothing
I refuse to pardon the pun! You shall burn for it!

Moths are positively phototactic (Phototaxis is an organism's automatic movement toward or away from light.) unlike roaches which are negatively phototactic.

Nobody ACTUALLY knows why this happens but there are theory's. Some scientists believe it is due to them (possibly) using the moon as a reference when migrating so they automatically get sucked towards a more empowering light without knowing it. Another idea is that light means saftey, when a group of moths are frightened they fly to the sky (which is rather bright), so it is theorized that they might associate light with protection.

As to why moths STAY at the light is also quite the mystery. Some scientists believe that much like humans, when you stare at a light you are temporarily blinded right? Causing disorientation and making it so you have to be stationary and wait for your eyes to adjust, well moths take a lot LOT longer to adjust. Or, because moths are nocturnal flyers, they think the light is the sun and go to sleep for the day and wait for the light to go away for them to continue flying.. stupid bugs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Simple Facts About Moths & Butterflies 4sweed 10 8,846 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Last Post: BWP
  Caterpillers Become Butterflies & Moths 4sweed 0 1,925 02-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Butterflies & Moths In Your Area 4sweed 0 2,248 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Last Post: 4sweed