LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever had a mouse
07-22-2012, 04:04 AM,
Laura Offline

Threads: 10
Have you ever had a mouse
I did, when I was around 10 years old my sister hid a snake in her room and mice in the basement to feed it. Of course my mum noticed it the first day, and as you can guess was extremely happy.

We didn't keep the snake, but one of the mice stayed, don;t ask me why I don't remember.

It's funny because I wasn't too scared, I used to play with it but now I am scared of mice. I don't know why, Mincus (my mouse Big Grin) was nice and cute, a little bit smelly nut nice.

HAve you ever owned a mouse or a uncommon animal?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2012, 10:50 AM,
pugskjj Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Have you ever had a mouse
I have only had mice in the freezer waiting to be thawed for the snakes...you can imagine how the other half felt about THAT lol

The most unusual pet I think I have ever had is the hedgehog I currently have and when I was a kid I had an ant farm...does that count as a pet?? I love the hedgie though...only thing is when I tick him off his little quills can hurt!
07-26-2012, 11:53 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Yeah, I have owned a mouse before. I actually used to breed them. When the mice had little babies I could resist how cute they were! However, when they got older, I didn't like them as much. As they got older, they used to bite me when I would try to take them out of the cage. The dad actually ate all of the baby mice. I was sad, but didn't really know that it was going to happen. I was only 13 or 14 or so.
07-31-2012, 03:42 AM,
lhins Offline

Threads: 2
I've had mice to feed a snake that I had owned for about 10 years. They over populate very quickly, my snake couldn't eat all of the mice that kept coming so we had to have separate cages for males and females and pregnant mice. Every once in a while we would find one that was particularly kind/cute/intelligent that we could keep as a closer pet. But one day I accidentally fed my sisters pet mouse to the snake...
07-31-2012, 04:27 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
I have had a mouse before. Actually I started with just two. Then along came the babies. Soon there was a population exlosion. Then the mice gnawed through the wall of their cage and they made a great escape. I haven't seen any of them since.
07-31-2012, 07:47 AM,
writer811 Offline

I used to have a lot of mice. They were cute, and they bred all the time but my mother got rid of them after they started eating their babies (Nobody saw it coming but it turns out that mice will actually eat their babies for a variety of reasons, such as if the wind blows right). I only keep rats as my rodent pets now. They're less aggressive and they don't smell. A far superior animal, in my opinion.
08-13-2012, 04:08 AM,
Mouse Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
(07-31-2012, 03:42 AM)lhins Wrote: But one day I accidentally fed my sisters pet mouse to the snake...

Oh no!! How did you manage that? Eek

We've been keeping mice for a few years now. We've probably had about 15 altogether. We don't breed them though, we've only ever had females. The males tend to be much smellier than females by the way, so there's a tip! They mark their environment with smelly, sticky urine so unless you want to breed them, I would personally only purchase ladies.

It took me a while to warm to mice, as it was my partner who wanted them really. But these days I'm pretty fond of them all and I talk to them quite a lot actually! Yeah, I know!

We've got five at the moment I think, they're all very different in character but generally they all get on quite well. We've found that the younger they are, the more they fight, but by the time they've matured a bit they tend to have worked out their differences! I think I'd miss them if we didn't have any mice, they're a part of our family now. Blush
08-26-2012, 03:49 AM,
lhins Offline

Hah, well she put this particular one in a separate cage, but I saw it as the easiest one to grab out of the cage for the snake. I guess I just didn't take my sister seriously when she thought she should have a pet mouse because she only played with it for a few minutes. I guess I figured she was done playing it.
Yeah, males usually make a mess of their cage and don't care about anything but being superior to the others and getting into the females' cage.
But I"m glad you have a nice group of mice to add to the family.
08-10-2014, 01:57 AM,
Treeca86 Offline

I've had rats and mice. They are sweet and loving and clean animals. Fun to watch. I had 2 white mice at one time, one was a little bigger than the other, and he always somehow intimidated the smaller one. If the small one came out of the place they slept, and the big one was going in, the small one would jump and tip over, then scurry out of it quickly, sad and funny, after a few weeks, he got bigger and he wasn't afraid anymore. I even had an apricot coloured one once, too. He was sweet, loved to nibble fingers and kiss noses.
08-11-2014, 04:07 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
When my older kids were young, we had mice,,, and more mice,,,, and more mice,,, well you get the idea. They definitly over populate fast! I ended up taking the over population to the pet shop and got credit for food for the remaining mice and my finches. It worked out well,,, they had mice for snake food and I had food for the remaining mice and the birds.
09-03-2014, 01:55 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I have had hamsters, and enjoyed them tremendously; but I have never had an actual pet mouse.
One time, when I was about 11-12, we had a mouse get into the house and it climbed into the wastebasket and then couldn't get back out. I carried the wastebasket into the bathroom, and put it down on the side in the tub, and out ran the mouse.
Next, I removed the basket so the moue couldn't get back in it again, and then set about catching the mouse. I think I trapped it in something, but I might have jut managed to catch it by the tail. That was many, many years ago now, and I don't really remember.
I put the mouse in a little bird cage that we had, and put in food and water. He never really got tame, and one day when I was feeding him, he managed to escape out of the cage, and we never saw him again.
After that, I just had hamsters, and they were a lot easier to tame, and made great pets. I imagine that a domestic mouse would be a lot better pet than my little wild one was, but I just never wanted another mouse.
09-03-2014, 08:55 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
No. I am scared of rats somehow. Where I live, rats are everywhere. No matter how clean the place is, there will always be rats. My grandfather would always leave traps and rat poison everywhere, but they still won't disappear. I grew up fearing them actually. I do remember my brother taking care of a white rat. He got it from a fair when he was still in school. It was really adorable, and it ran very fast. However, when my mother found out that he had it, she told him to throw it away. I don't know what he did it afterwards. In pet stores here, there are pet rats sold. They come in different colors, and I can't help but wonder if people buy them. No matter how cute rats are, I don't think that I will be brave enough to get one especially when my cats are expert rat hunters and killers.
04-08-2015, 01:46 PM,
vi0let Offline

In high school one time my best friend and I randomly decided to buy pet mice (I have no idea why). We were extremely disappointed when we realized that they wanted absolutely nothing to do with us. I'm pretty sure mine was pregnant because all she ever did was eat and pee on me. Unfortunately, my friend ended up letting them go outside after her mom discovered them because of how bad they smelled..
I have pet rats now and I absolutely adore them. I will recommend rats as a lovable companion to anyone. They really are intelligent creatures and they can do amazing things.
11-11-2015, 06:38 AM,
AnimalObsessedGirl Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
yup, I own a mouse at the moment. his name is Caboose. hes not like your usually mouse's that are white with red eyes. he's light brown with some white patches. he does stink a little bit but I clean his cage every four days fully and wash out his wheel every two days.

thanks for reading, I believe that all animals have rights to live and we humans are their voice in this world since they don't have a voice to tell us humans what they need. don't neglect your pets and treat them like your family. have a great day pet owners. HeartHeartHeart
01-05-2016, 01:34 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Even though I think that hamsters are very cute; I just do not feel the same way about pet mice or rats, or even gerbils.
We had hamsters for pets when my kids were little, and they were awesome little pets. They were fun to watch and enjoyed attention when we took them out of the cage to hold them, and they were easy enough for the kids to take care of on their own.

One time, we had a little hamster cage that looked like an old-fashioned steam engine train, but it was see-through plastic.
The big wheel was where the hamster exercise wheel was located, and when the hamster ran around on the wheel, it activated something that made the little bell on the train tinkle.
This was all fine, except for one thing......... Hamsters are nocturnal.
Every night that hamster would get on his wheel and run for what seemed like hours. We were trying to go to sleep, and there was that chug-chug-chug from the wheel and ding-ding-ding from the pesky bell !
So, every night, after my daughter went to sleep, I would go and disconnect the bell so we could also get some sleep. She might have enjoyed falling asleep to the sound of her "hamster train"; but none of the rest of us did !
05-14-2016, 10:00 PM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
My brother and I used to have one that we all shred and played with. It was a lone pinto mouse that my older brother got from his friend. My parents never said a word about it and we thought that it's okay to keep it so we kept it in a shoe box with rice grains for it to eat. The next day we couldn't find the shoe box and we all went mad looking for it. Years later, my dad admitted to having given it away because they don't like any type of mice in the house. When I got my own hamster later on, I had to give it away too. My dog Clio is the very first pet I got to keep.
06-29-2016, 02:33 AM,
Novelangel Offline

Threads: 4
I had pet mice for a while as a young adult. I found my first one, as a baby, in the factory where I worked. I took it home and showed it (somewhat apprehensively) to my parents. My mom fell instantly in love, oohing and aahing over the tiny mouse. It had gray fur but still had its eyes shut, so it was older than a newborn 'pinkie' but technically not yet bonded with its absent mother and we could easily keep it as a pet. We kept little Morty in a ten gallon aquarium and took 'him' out several times each day to spend time with us. Morty later became 'Marty' when we figured out that she was a female and she loved getting out of her 'house' to play with her people. Marty lived for three years plus a few months, which is about the normal life span for a mouse, and then I decided to go to the pet store and get another. We ended up buying two more mice, but neither of the pet store animals were as friendly and tame as that first little wild mouse that I brought home from work that day. Marty was a real peach of a pet mouse, and I'll never forget how she would eat a chocolate kiss, starting at the top point and carving her way around it all the way to the bottom. A typical female was our Marty, being the chocolate lover that she was.
09-15-2018, 04:42 AM,
lovelynadia Offline
Registered

I never had a mouse at home since my cat kind of expert to catch the mouse. I think mouse is great to be a pet, i mean something like other breed like hamster or the mouse itself. But my cat would be suspicious or jealous then.
05-31-2022, 08:08 PM,
Gibbto Offline
Registered

Yes, I remember my Mitsy when I was a little kid. She was so a little cutie.
07-07-2022, 07:05 PM,
Busbyx Offline

Yes, I had 5 mice during my childhood. I liked them so much.
04-25-2023, 02:01 AM,
RickyCantu Offline
Registered

Hey there, I'm new to this forum but I couldn't resist replying to your post. I've never owned a mouse myself, but I did have a friend who had a pet rat named Rizzo. At first, I was a little freaked out by it, but Rizzo turned out to be a pretty cool little dude. It's funny how our fears can change over time, isn't it? I used to be terrified of spiders, but now I'm more scared of mice.