LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitty Haircut?
07-04-2015, 01:36 PM,
DancingLady Offline

Threads: 13
Kitty Haircut?
Honestly don't know what the right term for it is, but a lady I know recently had her Maine Coon boy "buzz cut" basically, except for his head and the end of his tail. He had a lot of matted knots due to age I think, and perhaps she fell behind on brushing due to her own health issues lately. Anyway, I've heard of people doing this for long hair cats in the summer to cook them off as well as because of matted fur. What are your thoughts on it? While I understand the cat's fur was not in good condition, I felt bad for him seeing him like that and wonder if he is embarrassed at not having his full coat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 02:49 PM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Kitty Haircut?
I don't like the idea of doing that because cats are generally given the type of coat that is most suitable for their breed but in unusual situations, such as you suggest, where the coat is simply too matted, it might not hurt to cut it once, with the intention of maintaining the cat's coat as it grows out. Not everyone should have a long-haired cat because they are higher maintenance, so I'd rather that, if someone is unable to maintain the coat of a long-haired cat, they choose a shorthair instead. Sometimes, cats choose us though, and sometimes conditions happen without our being to blame.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2015, 02:59 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
I've seen cats with it done, I believe they refer to it as the lion cut.

Is this the look you're referring to?

[Image: enhanced-buzz-31917-1291653570-14.jpg]

I am indifferent about it really - I guess in a warm climate it could be good for a cat that has a very heavy or thick coat. However I think my cat would feel and look naked like that. I think it looks almost comical. I don't know much about what health effect that cut would have on a cat (for instance if it would be too cold, even in summer time) so I don't think I would do it.
07-09-2015, 12:27 AM,
DancingLady Offline

Threads: 13
Yes, that picture look just like what the lady I mentioned had done for her cat. She definitely thought the end of his tail was pretty cute. I don't know that the cat agreed, but he didn't seem to be all that upset. He was behaving like his normal self as far as I could tell. This lady was in much better health at the time that she got this cat. I think the problem with matted fur arose because the cat is getting older at the same time that her health has declined quite a bit. She is still able to feed and clean the litter box and love them, but I think she probably has trouble with brushing if the cat doesn't like it. She can't chase him down and hold onto him if he doesn't want to sit still and let her do it.
07-10-2015, 09:34 AM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
A had a large male black cat several years ago. His fur was not short, but neither was it particularly long. He was in a fight with another cat one day, and developed an abscess from a scratch that he received. The veterinarian shaved a large portion of his fur, and I swear he wouldn't even sit in the window until it grew back.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2015, 09:52 PM,
Susan Offline

Threads: 0
I had a Persian cat once that was rescued from a puppy mill. When they found her she was matted so badly they had to shave her fur off. She got the lion cut and looked so relieved to be rid of that mess. Of course, because she was never used of being brushed it was next to impossible for me to groom her coat properly. I use to have to always take her to the groomer's to have her done. It was really sad. She did have the lion cut a few times and she actually loved it. When she got back home she would be all happy and purring and strutting around showing of her new do. I guess it depends on the cat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An easy "cat cave" for your kitty. Happyflowerlady 1 3,584 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Bloomsie
  Ever put your kitty in time out? Ofnir 2 2,316 05-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Last Post: KittyReeves
Thumbs Up Kitty Traveling Companion mariposa 0 1,787 04-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Last Post: mariposa
  Glucosamine and the Arthritic Kitty Nakhash 1 1,978 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Fishbone
  New kitty Pocs 1 2,334 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Last Post: ACSAPA
  Free Ranging Kitty Pocs 0 1,675 08-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Pocs
  Cute kitty cat photos Ram 2 3,689 04-15-2012, 11:13 PM