Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't know what to do
08-22-2015, 08:39 AM,
LilaRitter Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Sad  I don't know what to do
I don't even know where to start with this. Recently my mom has been trying to convince me that getting a dog would be really awesome and stuff, and this was also the first time that I didn't have a dog so I agreed with her. She then convinced my dad by telling him what a great 16th birthday gift it would be, how I'm always alone since my mom works night shift and my dad works as a TDCJ officer about 3 hours out.

Now we have a 5 month old rescue dog and I am not sure if this was a bad idea or not. We agreed to foster her for a week to see if we would be compatible and if she even liked us. Day 3 and my dad left for work and my mom starts to pressure me into a decision about whether I want to keep the dog or not. And I felt just too pressured and guilty because the dog already bounced around some families and I just felt really bad for her and she gave me that look that said "Please keep me". And on Day 4 it turned out she had tapeworms and we took her to the vet since her foster mom is a vet assistant, and we decided to keep her so we have all her papers and her monthly heartworm and flea preventative meds. Right now is Day 5 and since we live in Texas there is a flea problem and even though it's only been five days I think she has fleas already and I don't want our cat to get them as well.

Everytime I look away she jumps on the couch, harasses the cat or steals all kinds of things from the table even my bed and my mom is no help at all and I just don't know what to do! I'm used to big dogs and animals in general and I just don't think I was ready for a dog. I love her, I really do, but I am alone most of the time while my mom is either working or asleep and I'm just overwhelmed. I have no problems walking her but I can't let her out of my sight at all and it's stressing me out.

I'm only 15, and while she sleeps at night, at 4am or so she pulled the table cloth off of our dinner table. She seems well behaved as long as you keep an eye on her. She knows she isn't supposed to go on the couch, and she doesn't even try when I'm in the room, but she goes on it as soon as I look away. I had my doubts because I knew I'd be the only one taking care of her, and I was right.I feel really bad for this, but I've been thinking and crying and I just don't know anymore.

I think this was a really bad idea and I love her but I think we have to give her back. It's been only five days and I'm already overwhelmed. I'm scared I really am, because I really don't know what to do. The girl we adopted her from seemed really glad we decided to keep her and said she had a good feeling about us, but I can't do this. I don't want to be "another one that didn't keep me" to her. I was under so much pressure and I'm done. School is starting in 3 days and I know my mom won't take care of her while I'm in class. what is she going to do for 9 hours? Sit and hope I come home early enough so she doesn't starve? Destroy all of our furniture? I can't put her in a crate for 9 hours at a time. She naps whenever I'm on my computer or am really busy, but I still think I'm not made for this kind of responsibility at my age. A dog lives for 10-13 years, we live in an apartment on the second floor with carpet (imagine a flea infestation with that) and she usually has to go every 4 hours. We don't have a lot of money, another reason why I think this was a bad idea, so we cannot afford a dogwalker or anything like that.

Is it normal to feel this way at first? I think it's a bad sign that I can't wait for school to begin because it means I can get some freedom of this for 9 hours. I don't know how to deal with anything. Any suggestions on what I should do? She's looking at me right now like she knows what I'm thinking and it makes me feel even worse. You should have seen her when we picked her up from the vet. Like "They didn't give me back!" and was really happy and was licking my face and jumping and everything. I feel so bad and I'm losing sleep, I feel tired, I don't eat and I'm scared about the small time period of 10 minutes of me getting on the bus for school and my mom coming home. She seems calmed by my scent, she likes to sleep on my pile of dirty clothes rather than her bed and sleeps right next to me.

Please help me? I don't know what to do. Should we keep her? Give her to a shelter? Give her to a rescue? Let her be adopted by someone else? My only problem is that I'm doing this alone. I'm scared of fleas, she already has tapeworms, but she seems like a very nice and friendly dogs. She isn't bothered by our cat, even though he seems to be very bother by her. I love her, and I guess I think I'm not good enough. She deserves better than a messed up, overmedicated 15 year old that can't even take care of herself. My mom has outright told me that she doesn't like the dog. And I said at the beginning that I want a dog that everybody in the family likes, which in turn got her yelling at me that I am guilt-tripping her and that this is my decision.

I don't know what to do with her and I don't know how to break the news either. I know that my mom will be angry at me if I mention being insecure about this. My dad likes the dog, but he said he would've preferred not getting one. I wish I would''ve listened to him. But now I know that I would miss her if we did give her back, and I would be questioning myself all over again if it was a good idea to give her back. Now that I think she has fleas, I can't let her be adopted until they are gone anyway can I? She does take monthly flea prevention. But they have to bite her in order to die. In this area, we had massive flooding damage earlier this year, there are a lot of mosquitos as well as fire ants. so I don't know if her scratching is from one of those or from fleas. Given that I picked three off of her stomach area this morning, I'm not letting myself hope that it isn't fleas. Our cat seems to be fine, which surprises me since we had a bad infestation last year when he sneaked out once and brought them home. We moved into a new apartment so I really hope it didn't come from him. He is getting spot-on treatment and he doesn't scratch or lick other than to clean himself.

Is it morally acceptable to want to give her back? Is it normal to question myself like this about her? I feel like I am the worst petowner ever.Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2015, 07:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015, 07:58 AM by SnoopFroggyFrog.)
SnoopFroggyFrog Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: I don't know what to do
It is morally acceptable to want to give her back. If you two aren't bonded, nobody gets hurt, and the dog goes to a more experienced owner with the time to fix these problems. It's like with girls (or boys), if you have had a girlfriend for not very long, and you guys aren't in love or even liking each other, is it wrong to break up with her? No. This dog will find someone else and in my opinion you need to find another dog. An older dog at least mature age like a year or so sounds good. A dog a year or older, potty trained, and more docile around people and animals would work just fine. My dog was about 1 when I got her and she is the best pet I have ever had, I never had to potty train her, she is always by my side, and she gets along with other animals because that's just her temperament.
Oh, and the dog should be adopted by another owner (sites everywhere). I'm 14, btw.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read BirdPoo 9 5,399 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  I regret getting a puppy and I don't know what to do. pipps 16 39,169 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Last Post: krystianna
  How cruel! Natural death, don't kill them! pandabear1991 0 1,701 02-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Last Post: pandabear1991
  Don’t Forget Our Pets during the Storm Snowflakes 2 2,763 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Miranda Boldari
  Please Don't Bring Your Dogs Into Stores! KittyReeves 0 2,785 06-20-2014, 02:05 AM
Last Post: KittyReeves
  Dogs that don't like car travel Julie 2 4,663 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Julie