LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My terrier does not travel well.
08-11-2014, 06:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM by WonkyBear.)
WonkyBear Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
My terrier does not travel well.
I have a wonderful Jack Russell Terrier that I adopted from a dogs home just over a year ago. She was found as a stray and I estimate she is about 5 years old. Generally she is incredibly well trained, although can be bit of a baby about things. As she didn’t play with any toy given to her for the first six months I have slight suspicion that she may have not had the best time as a puppy and young dog. That said, her recall is great, her house-training is spot on and she is really quick to learn new things, like sit.

A very loving and affectionate dog, she hardly barks and only turns into the yappy Terrier stereotype when there is a ball involved. I think it’s pretty obvious that I adore her!

So here’s the problem. She is awful in the car. She sort of sings, in a very high pitched, teeth chattering whine. She yawns a bit and lip smacks a little but mostly it’s just loud, nerve grating whining. I have her in a harness on the back seat attached to the seat belt with a proper device and generally she can see through the front window and back windows on either side. I can’t open these back windows but have both the front ones open to let in fresh air and keep the air pressure from building.

I have tried talking to her, singing with her, ‘boxing her in’ with cushions so she can see out the window but not move around the back seat, but the only time she settles is on the motorway when it’s a long journey at an even speed. I have been advised to try some dog calming tablets as we are going on a couple of long journeys next week but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions or advice please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My terrier does not travel well. - by WonkyBear - 08-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone have a Jack Russell Terrier? TreeClimber 8 4,411 08-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Last Post: evelynmcgregor
  Dogs that don't like car travel Julie 2 4,679 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Julie