Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Ich (Ick)
01-31-2015, 07:31 AM,
Dave Offline

Threads: 2
Possible Ich (Ick)
Greeting's Fish Friends,

I really REALLY hate to have to write this. Thor, if you read this I sure hope you can give me more GREAT advice like you did last time with the Tetra SafeStart Smile

I may possibly be facing my first fish illness. I'm reading a dozen different ways to treat Ich (Ick). Would love to hear more opinions on dealing with this.

My tanks is new (almost 6 weeks old) 5.5 gallon fluval tank with 5 very active guppies. The tank has cycled. My pH is
7.2, Ammonia 0. Nitrite 0, Nitrate .05-.10. I'm doing 1 gallon water changes about every three to five days. I also have a small
10 watt heater in the tank and that keeps the water temp at exactly 78*. I also put a small amount of aquarium salt in
the water as PetSmart told me this would be beneficial to the guppies (1 Tbsp. for 5 gallons). There are no live plants in this tank.

The guppies are VERY active and eating well. This aquarium is on my desk and I see these fish all day long while I'm working. Yesterday I
noticed 1 fish was occasionally 'scratching' himself on one of the rock decorations in the tank, I didn't think anything of it at
the time. Today all 5 guppies are doing this intermittently. There are NO signs of white sugar like specks on the fish...but I am
wondering if this might be the beginning of Ich? One week ago I added 2 guppies from LFS to the tank.

I don't want to be a 'fish tank hypocondriate'....but I also don't want to be caught off guard in the event this turns into
something more. I keep reading that these medications can/will kill your biological filtration (which I have worked so hard
for these past 6 weeks)...I sure hate to wipe it out now and have to start over...plus, what in the world would I do with the
guppies in the meantime? A dilemma Dodgy

I also am reading about the high temperature treatment which I really like the idea of. I would have to go buy another heater which would allow me to control the temperature (that's no problem).

Any thoughts from your vast knowledge would be appreciated Cool

Many Thanks,
Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Possible Ich (Ick) - by Dave - 01-31-2015, 07:31 AM
RE: Possible Ich (Ick) - by Thor - 01-31-2015, 02:24 PM
RE: Possible Ich (Ick) - by Thor - 01-31-2015, 02:37 PM
RE: Possible Ich (Ick) - by Dave - 01-31-2015, 10:17 PM
RE: Possible Ich (Ick) - by Thor - 02-01-2015, 01:56 AM
RE: Possible Ich (Ick) - by Dave - 02-01-2015, 11:49 PM