Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching social play
12-12-2012, 09:16 AM,
SinatraBuddy Offline

Threads: 1
Teaching social play
Hello all :-).

I am wondering if I can get some advice on raising my new little guy. He came to us during hurricane sandy from a friend who found him on her outside window sill - and none of her neighbors knew anything about him. He was very young when we got him - since he could walk,but stumbled a bit still when walking and could not yet run - we are guessing he was between 2 or 3 weeks old when became to us.

He is just the light of my life and is such a amazing little guy - the snuggly-set at I have ever seen - he sleeps pressed up against my neck all night and is with meal the time I am home, except when he is sleeping or playing and he is very very affectionate.

The difficulty is that he pounces on my face and hands. - a lot. And he bites my face and hands too. He is not an aggressive cat at all. He is not "striking" when he bites (which I have seen in feral cats). His eyes are often open and his ears straight up. He sometimes will try to groom my face or lightly bite my nose - and then Hesse,s to get carried away and he bites harder. Other times, I seems like it is playful pouncing and biting. Problem is - he is getting bigger so it is hurting more and more and I have nicks all overly face and hands from him biting and scratching me. He also bit the Pepco guy the other day when he came Undecided.

At first, I didn't want to discipline him at all- it just breaks my heart to not give him everything he wants. But then I realized he would be a happier cat if I taught him properly and he was socialized well. And so I finally got a squirt bottle after doing some research on ways that cats can be trained without making them feel bad. Turns out - he likes water (he also joins my husband in the shower sometimes - ha :-))
One of my friends is a vet assistant and she recommended that I put vinegar in the squirt bottle so that it deters him. I have the bottle with a diluted vinegar solution in it - and I have asked husband to spray me - trying to get it in my eyes - in case of worst scenario ( I would endeavor to squirt near him, not on him, but I want to know what will happen if I miss and get him worse than I plan on). It doesn't hurt my eyes a heck of a lot - mostly the smell is just super yucky And it tickles my nose.
I am afraid to try it on him tho because I don't know how he is different from me.

I do need to figure out a way to stop him from doing this - both to teach him and also because I am getting scared that he will eventually scar my face or hurt my eyes or otherwise badly hurt me- or that he might bite someone else in my home. ( we don't Have kids - but from time to time we have guests).

Furthermore, I am so concerned about him.
My understanding is that he was supposed to be allowed this time with his littler mates to learn social play - and having been denied this time, he is not learning how to play socially properly. This weekend, I got him a couple of the smaller stuffed animals in the doggy isle at the pet store, in hope of him having a couple of simulated friends to play with who are a bit more durable than humans. He does seem to be willing to play with them and I hope that this is a quality way for him to have an outlet for his social play. He still seems to prefer me tho.

Does anyone have experience with this?
How can I teach him to stop biting and pouncing on my face?
Is it safe to use a water bottle with vinegar sprayed close enough to him that he would be deterred by it or get dripped by the mist? Will this be harmful to hi either physically or emotionally? Are there better ways to train cats who like water than this?
Most importantly - does anyone know if it is possible for a human to teach a kitten social play and if so how? Also, will he be developmentally fulfilled without the time with his litter mates? And is there anything I can do to fill this need for him and show him appropriate vs inappropriate social play? What are the best ways for a human to engage in social play with a kitten? I bought some stiffed mice for him, which I have tied to longer strings on the ends of stick, so that he can play with this with the movement - but not my hand - in view. He also have every different type of cat ball that the pet store has to offer as well as a ball of yarn and a few shiny Christmas ornaments (which be chose from our tree ;-)).

I am staring to feel desperate. I am worried about about my little guy and for my own well being. I would be so so grateful for any advice you more experienced pet owners can offer.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Teaching social play - by SinatraBuddy - 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM
RE: Teaching social play - by SinatraBuddy - 01-01-2013, 05:01 AM
RE: Teaching social play - by FlanneryCam - 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do your cats like to play with toys? emilyrose93 7 4,257 08-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Last Post: jen_j_26