LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Russian bank now lends cats to house buyers
08-29-2014, 08:36 AM,
SevenWays Offline

Threads: 4
A Russian bank now lends cats to house buyers
Today, in the pretty weird news section: a Russian bank has started lending cats to customers who take out mortgages to buy a house. It seems to be some sort of incentive, also based on a Russian superstition about cats bringing good luck to a new home.

I was almost ready to get angry about giving away animals like they were a gift pen, but then I realized the homeowners can only keep the cat for two hours, and they must promise not to harm it. Knowing this it seems to me a pretty funny and cute way to motivate house buyers!

One sentence struck me, though: "They must sign an agreement [...] freeing the lender from responsibility for any possible catastrophe." Do you think they mean catastrophes caused by the cats? That would be great foresight!

Here's the source article
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2014, 01:29 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: A Russian bank now lends cats to house buyers
What an interesting article ! I am amazed that someone would come up with this idea, but i can see where it makes sense, and would work out great for superstitious people. If they don't already have a cat of their own, and believe that having a cat in the house will indeed bring them good luck, then this is a perfect solution !
As long as the cats didn't run out of the door and escape and become lost; it is probably not a bad thing for the cats either. They probably choose cats with an easy-going personality to use for the cat-loans; and two hours gives the cat plenty of time to stroll throughout the whole house and bring luck to it.
And if the new homeowners don't want to have a cat, then this solves the whole situation of the cat-blessing easily, without them having to find their own cat.
04-18-2015, 11:38 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
RE: A Russian bank now lends cats to house buyers
When I first started reading I too was going to get up in arms about the fact that they would just give cats away like a toy...but it was interesting to me that cats are good luck there and it's only for a couple of hours. Here, real estate agents tend to try and win your business and loyalty with things like gift hampers full of gourmet food or fancy champagne or wine -- I am curious to know how the use of a pet for a couple of hours would be received! Thanks for sharing the article! I'm going to tell my friends about it, I'm sure they'll find it interesting too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can pets like dogs and cats spread coronavirus? Thor 5 1,749 10-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Last Post: willisidi
  Dog brings Trooper to house fire. Happyflowerlady 2 2,845 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  PETA Wants The Juice's House teamrose 12 4,906 04-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  A Cafe For People Who Can't Have Cats ACSAPA 7 4,562 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Fishbone
  Big cats are not pets, not even cheetah Ram 19 11,202 06-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Last Post: tajnz
  Scottish wildcats are in danger because of crossbreeding with domestic cats Ram 4 5,121 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Thor