LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coconut oil for your pets.
03-27-2015, 12:20 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Coconut oil for your pets.
Coconut oil is very beneficial for your pet. Many people are adding coconut oil to their own food, and also giving some to their dogs and cats. It will help make their coat and fur nice and shiny, heals up and scrapes or heat rashes, and even sores caused by flea allergies, which many dogs suffer from.
It does not take much of the coconut oil to be beneficial to your dog. Just 1/4 of a teaspoon daily will be enough for a small dog, and a spoonful is plenty for even a large dog.
You can also use a dab of coconut oil on the skin to help with dry skin, or to heal any sore areas that the dog has. Because of the anti-fungal qualities of coconut oil, it can help with many skin ailments, as well.
here is a list of the benefits of coconut oil for your dog.

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/ten-rea...-dogs-diet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2015, 05:58 AM,
BobCat Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Coconut oil for your pets.
Very interesting information on the benefits of coconut oil in relation to our pets. We just bought a jar of organic coconut oil, last month. My daughter got elbowed and got a black eye (long story). A friend suggested to apply some in the morning and at night. I was amazed to see such instant results.

I have never heard of ingesting this product. Our older, long-haired cat's fur sometimes looks a little dull. I just want to make sure that it would safe for her. I know she would want to immediately start cleaning herself to get it off.

Also, I was wondering, do you think applying this oil to our cat's fur will not get the fur too oily?
04-28-2015, 10:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015, 10:44 AM by Shihtzufan.)
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
I use coconut oil regularly - both in my own cooking, and also in my beauty routine (it makes for a great body moisturizer and also a good overnight leave in hair treatment - just apply it to your hair, wrap it in cling wrap and wash it out in the morning!) but for some reason I had never thought about giving it to my pets.

It's always nice to know that something I already keep as a staple item in our home is safe for animals and has so many benefits for them too. Thanks for sharing the link with us. I'll start incorporating it into both of my pets diet and see how it goes! I'll try to remember to check back into this thread and let you know the results.
05-04-2015, 04:50 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

@bobcat, I think it would be fine to use on your cat's coat, just warm up a little in the palms of your hands by rubbing them together, and then stroke it into the fur until it feels like enough to lightly coat the hair. This is what i do with Chipper, and also with my own hair. When you do it with just a little at a time and warmed up in your palms, then you won't overdo it like you might otherwise. When there is a scrape or sore that I need to heal; then I pour a tiny dab of warmed coconut oil onto the spot and massage it into the skin unless it is too sore to do that. If it is too sore, then I just dab a little bit on and spread it as much as possible with my finger.
You may find that if you start adding a bit of coconut oil on the top of the cat food, that the skin and fur will just heal itself up, and you won't need to put any extra on her fur.
08-27-2015, 09:37 PM,
Susan Offline

Threads: 0
I never really thought of this but it does make perfect sense to me. My daughter swears by coconut oil. She uses it on her skin, in her food and for her hair. She always had problems with her skin and now her skin is beautiful. She never has break outs or rashes.

I have never used it but I am thinking I might start. Not only would it be good for me but also for my two cats. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea of the benefits of coconut oil for my cats!
04-01-2016, 06:44 AM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
This is interesting. I have never considered coconut oil as being of use to my pet though I am cognizant of the fact that it is excellent on human skin. It is not really expensive and will boost my catalogue of pet remedies. Is it effective against skin parasites? I am looking forward to prepare a remedy for these. It will consist of sunflower oil and an antiseptic like Dettol.
04-01-2016, 06:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016, 06:53 AM by Happyflowerlady.)
Happyflowerlady Offline

I am not sure that coconut oil would deter pests, especially fleas and ticks. However, it might help to discourage them because the skin would then be coated lightly with the coconut oil, and not as easy for the parasite to lodge themself on your pet's skin and bite him.

One of the things that I have read that both fleas and ticks do not like is peppermint, or most any member of the mint family. We planted some mint by the fron porch last year, hoping to discourage the mosquitoes, which are also said not to like the pungent smell of mint.
This year, a lot more mint is coming up where it has started to spread; so I am going to try making an ointment with the coconut oil and the mint.
From what I read, you just simmer the mint leaves in the coconut oil at a low temperature until the mint essence is penetrated into the coconut oil, and then strain it through a sieve and let the coconut oil cool down. It will usually harden as it cools, unless the weather is very hot, and then it remains as a liqud oil, and might have to be kept in the refrigerator to remain a solid.
11-03-2017, 12:24 AM,
Samilly Offline
Registered

This is a great idea! I have two poodles, if you know about this breed, you should know that they often have dry skin. This oil helps me in caring for the hair and skin of my dogs.
12-30-2017, 03:52 PM,
Gemma23426 Offline

coconut oil is natural and good for skin. But does it react with skin allergy?
09-19-2020, 09:33 PM,
Valentin01 Offline

I use it in my own hair as a treatment. I put it in when I go to bed and wash out the next day. It goes on really greasy but then sort of sinks in and doesn't feel too bad.
09-21-2020, 10:45 PM,
NicholasWatson Offline

Threads: 1
I use it for my hair.. I didn't know about this
10-03-2020, 12:43 AM,
Clalser Offline

I think that I need a pool of coconut oil for my alabay.
11-28-2020, 08:39 AM,
EmmaWilliam Offline

Threads: 1
interesting and valuable information! thank you for sharing!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can pets like dogs and cats spread coronavirus? Thor 5 1,749 10-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Last Post: willisidi
  Homeless pets we never hear about. Happyflowerlady 5 4,199 08-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Who gets the pets? Shihtzufan 6 3,876 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Last Post: krystianna
  Our Pets are still dying from treats made in China. Happyflowerlady 10 4,662 09-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Last Post: helaofthenorns
  A list of 11 diseases / parasites you can get from your pets Ram 3 3,437 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  APPA Estimates 2014 Spending on Pets Bloomsie 0 1,971 05-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Bloomsie
  As If we didn't know. Studies say Pets are good for the heart! Jpix 12 5,392 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Last Post: kindredsoul
  Japan- Appeal for Adopting Instead of Buying Pets ACSAPA 2 2,633 07-25-2012, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Ram
  Big cats are not pets, not even cheetah Ram 19 11,201 06-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Last Post: tajnz