LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hide really?
08-13-2012, 04:07 AM,
Pocs Offline

Threads: 24
A hide really?
Recently while shopping for a new dinning room set the salesman was showing us around to all the options and stopped at a simple round table with four chairs covered with what looked at a distance like leather. Upon closer examination, you could tell it wasn't leather covered at all. Before I could say anything he spoke up, I guess from seeing the puzzled look on my face, " you'll never find a better Naugahyde anywhere" was his comment. I've heard it before, but this time it got me thinking. How can you refer to a hide from something that is simulated.

Doesn't hide refer to animal skin that has been tanned and prepared for a covering, a supply or for some use. Hide does come from some sort of animal, right? Where does this Nauga live? Does it roam with the buffalos, play with the deer or bunk down with the Sasquatch to go unseen? How do they obtain the hide?

Do the Naugas live in the world of the unicorn? A magical mystical beast that only that only lives in our mind and if so, how on earth did they get their hide for those chairs?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2012, 03:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM by sandooch.)
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
RE: A hide really?
Oh my gosh, Pocs. You really made me laugh with this little story. I just had to do a search for you to put you out of your misery. I found this interesting little article that will tell you all about the Naugals and where they came from and how we are able to obtain their hide.

For your viewing and reading pleasure: http://www.naugahyde.com/history.html
09-28-2012, 12:02 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
(09-20-2012, 03:21 PM)sandoochh Wrote: Oh my gosh, Pocs. You really made me laugh with this little story. I just had to do a search for you to put you out of your misery. I found this interesting little article that will tell you all about the Naugals and where they came from and how we are able to obtain their hide.

For your viewing and reading pleasure: http://www.naugahyde.com/history.html

Ok, that cracked me up Big Grin I've never seen that before. Who knew? Tongue

Its actually a brand name of artificial leather made primarily of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Pvc has been used to make artificial leather and all kinds of other materials for years. The "new car smell" that people refer to is actually pvc offgassing, which is why some people find the smell nauseating, as it's slightly toxic.

That's my bit of offbeat trivia to share for the day. Smile
10-01-2012, 08:24 AM,
Msmonkeyfeet Offline

Threads: 2
HA! This thread had me laughing for awhile! I actually had no idea what Naugahyde really was although I've heard it mentioned many times when referring to furniture and even in a song once, although I can't recall which song. I suppose it's a good thing to know that it doesn't actually come from any animal!
10-01-2012, 10:08 AM,
nick87 Offline

Threads: 5
I think I'd have responded to the salesman saying "WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!?" Then just look offended, and pretend not to buy his explanation.