LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tarantulas native to Ecuador?
06-08-2013, 01:02 PM,
PMom Offline

Threads: 3
Tarantulas native to Ecuador?
I recently turned down an article because I couldn't find specific information on tarantulas from Ecuador. (I write online informational and how-to articles.)

It's been bugging (no pun intended) me and I thought I'd ask all of you spider/tarantula experts about the variety of South American tarantulas. I know about the Goliath bird-eating tarantula, and the one with blue fangs, but I'm sure that there's several species native to Ecuador.

Also, it's my understanding that tarantulas generally don't bite their owners as long as they're treated gently. Do you find that true or are some species more aggressive than others?

Thank you in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM,
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Tarantulas native to Ecuador?
You're right, there are several species, some are much more aggressive than others. There are some docile, so-called "beginner" species that are pretty commonly kept as pets. My childhood neighbor used to keep a large pinktoe tarantula. Yes, she had pink toes!
She was quite docile and he could even handle her. They are apparently quite social for spiders and can even be kept in groups in large tanks or terrariums. This is however, the only species that I am familiar with and I am not so sure about other Ecuadorian tarantulas but I am sure that many of them are very dangerous and should only be kept and handled by trained professionals.
02-17-2014, 06:32 AM,
PMom Offline

Threads: 3
Wow, that's fascinating. Pink toes?

I'm sure someone must've written that article, but it wasn't me. LOL!

I've written a few tarantula articles, but focused on the West Coast/California. We have our own native tarantulas, which my best friend found out when she lived in Coarsegold, outside of Yosemite. You know they even have a tarantula festival in the fall?

Thank you for answering my question. It was just bugging the heck out of me, because I'm a pretty decent researcher and I just couldn't find the information.
02-26-2014, 09:40 AM,
Esperahol Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
There are apparently quite a few of them running about and of that lot some are rather common pets.

Avicularia Purpurea is the purple pinktoe which only reveals it's coloring under bright light. It's non-aggressive, but doesn't enjoy handling and happens to be rather fast. Females can make it to 12 years of age, while males only live to a fourth of that. Diet runs from flies to small rodents.

Pamphobeteus Insignis has been called the Colombian purple bloom due to males of the species having purple coloration over their body. Females have a large range of colors, but aren't as vivid generally speaking. This is a rather docile species, but they do flick hairs. They are also rather big 7.5 inches is normal. They tend to eat crickets, lizards, and mice.

You also have Theraphosea Blondi and Megaphobema Velvetosoma. The first is better known as the Goliath bird-eating spider and it's the largest specie (12 inches). Extremely aggressive in nature these are not good pets as they tend to bite. Not good considering the size of their fangs. The second is the Ecuadorian brown velvet spider and this isn't really a good beginner pet since they move quickly and can live to 15 years of age. Imagine that escaping into the house... ew.

Hope that helped some.