LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breeds vs Mixes
08-22-2014, 02:21 AM,
lily_lover Offline

Threads: 4
Breeds vs Mixes
One of my friends has been talking about getting a Bengal cat. Similarly when I was at the shelter finding my cat, the workers were telling me how people preferred purebreds and often asked about Russian Blues and whatnot.

Haha I admit when I met my cat-to-be, I was pretty disappointed in how he looked. This was my first cat so I wanted a sleek elegant hunter, and he was a fat grumpy cat with old man whiskers and a really muddy coat. I tried to find a different cat and I spent 4 hours at the shelter sitting with other cats, but in the end, his personality won me over.

Why do people look for a specific breed? Purebreds, from what I understand, suffer more in-breeding and are more prone to medical conditions. A mix is more robust and while my cat wasn't the prettiest, I'm sure there are equally beautiful mixes out there with lovely personalities. Do people just not want to spend the time to actually get to know a cat before they adopt it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2014, 10:55 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Breeds vs Mixes
Actually, I get irritated when people pay more attention to the breed than the love and affection than a cat can give. An officemate of mine once told me that I should just let my cat die when he was sick with renal problems. I had him confined in the veterinary clinic, and I already spent so much for his medicines and vet fees. Thus, she said, stop wasting your money and let it die. It's just a cat, it doesn't even have a breed. I got so irked that I almost slapped her. Unfortunately, many people do not know mixed or breed, cats are all the same. They are all lovable and caring. I guess some people are just plain ignorant about stuff like these.
09-27-2014, 09:57 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: Breeds vs Mixes
I think that getting either one is okay. If you have always wanted a special breed of cat, and that is what you have your heart set on, then , even if you find a nice friendly cat, you will still be regretting that you didn't get the kind you wanted.
Of course, that is not always true, and sometimes an animal just catches your heart, and you want that one, and then it is the right thing to do.

I remember year ago, I really wanted a collie, and I have always loved collies. I had been looking for one, and went to the pet shelter to see if they had any collies.
Well, there was this sad and scared little Dobie sitting there in the back of her cage, and she just looked so totally miserable that my heart just broke for her right that instant.
Naturally, I took her out for the little walk the let you do, and she and I seemed to really bond. I went back in and adopted her, and she was an excellent dog. I forgot all about wanting a collie.