LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petsmart Obedience Class??
01-17-2014, 08:06 AM,
PixieStixxx Offline

Threads: 1
Petsmart Obedience Class??
I trained my dogs myself but my friends just got a dog and wants to enroll him in the classes they advertise at PetSmart? I don't know anyone personally who has ever used them. Have any of you? What was your experience?

I don't want her to waste her money.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2014, 07:12 AM,
Roseary Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Petsmart Obedience Class??
It really depends on the Petsmart. I used the class originally with my Rottweiler at the Petsmart that was closest to my class, but I didn't really care for their methods. The trainer didn't really look like she knew what she was doing, and acted like she was better than everyone else. I never learned anything from that one, it was all basic stuff.

Afterwards I switched to a different Petsmart that was further out though. This one was fantastic, I managed to learn great positive reinforcement tricks I never thought of before and the trainer was very nice. She would answer questions quickly, and would give the last few minutes of each class time for the owners to ask questions while the dogs were able to socialize with each other. I thought that was really a key factor too, since having a social friendly dog makes it easier to take out with you.

All in all it really comes down to the individual Petsmart. It can be a hit, or miss. I would advise to go down during the class and see if you can sit in, some of the Petsmarts by me allowed this a lot so people can better see if it is right for them.
01-23-2014, 11:06 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Petsmart Obedience Class??
I totally agree with Roseary. You have to remember that when you go into these places such as PetSmart and Petco, they are offering BASIC obedience and socialization, both being incredibly important.

Is it a money waster? If your friend does not follow through with the at home reinforcement and exercises then it would be an absolute waste of time and money. I have yet to hear anything negative about these classes unless one goes in with extraordinarily high expectations.

The socialization experience for the pet alone is priceless. Pair the social aspect and basic commands and you have the making of a fine companion. There is nothing worse that knowing that when company comes to your home, you have to put your dogs up because they cannot behave in an acceptable manner.

More importantly, a dog who has not been socialized properly with other dogs tends to be more aggressive. I am dealing with this issue right now. Quick synopsis..German Shep, no socialization, attacks other dogs, killed one, highly aggressive, ignorant owner....ugh. Mind you, this is NOT my dogWink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you put your dog in obedience school? maxen57 5 3,100 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Last Post: cecejailer
  Fur styling at Petsmart? TreeClimber 0 1,471 03-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Last Post: TreeClimber