LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are Your Thoughts on Catnip?
05-15-2015, 09:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2015, 09:23 PM by Bloomsie.)
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
What Are Your Thoughts on Catnip?
For one academic year, I went away to school. When I came back, I noticed that there was something off about my cat. I couldn't put my finger on the reason, but I noticed that he was a bit paranoid and before I left, he was always calm and filled with natural energy. I didn't think twice about it and gave him a treat. After I fed him a treat, I read the bag and noticed that the treat had Catnip as one of it's main ingredients. I was furious.

My cat, Wolfy, is only 3 years old. I think he's way too young to be eating Catnip on a regular basis. I would assume catnip is for nonactive cats that are much older and need exercise. Wolfy is so energetic naturally that the extra grass is not needed for him. I weaned him off of the Catnip and he finally went back to normal -- still active.

What's your thoughts about Catnip? Do you think cats of any age should be introduced to Catnip or should there be a reason as to why your cat should use Catnip?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2015, 09:57 AM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
RE: What Are Your Thoughts on Catnip?
I use catnip as a treat for them. Two of my cats are 25 now, and one is just over a year old, and all of them like catnip. I am not particularly concerned about ill effects but when catnip is available to them too often, it becomes less of a big deal. So I put some catnip out once every month or two and they are thrilled.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-23-2015, 06:03 AM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
I give mine catnip just occasionally. I have never had any qualms about giving it to a youngster, but it probably depends entirely on the cat. We had one cat who absolutely hated catnip! He was a big sweet baby who had a lot of energy. One day, I gave him catnip and it made him so grumpy! All he did was glare and grumble at me! LOL After that, if he saw me giving it to the other cats, he would run. I guess he didn't like the high it gave him. Maybe your kitty didn't either.
05-24-2015, 12:36 AM,
jeskalillis Offline

Threads: 0
I don't think I have ever seen any of my cats eat catnip. Nor have I noticed it as a ingredient on a treat package. Usually when we get catnip it is loose leaf in a bag. We would sprinkle it on some surface and the cats would sniff and rub all over it. I don't believe I have ever seen any of them eat the catnip. I have had cats who don't care much for it as well. I am unsure if their is an age restriction for when a cat should be given catnip. I think it just depends on the cat.
05-24-2015, 11:52 AM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
Mine eat a little bit of it, but mostly they sniff it, and roll in it. As for age, I have read that very young cats don't have any effects from catnip. I have also had cats who didn't care for catnip, one way or another, but I haven't had any who hated it. I think that it just has no effect on some cats.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random thoughts on types of cat food. Fishbone 11 4,256 08-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Last Post: ohiotom76
  Growing your own Catnip? scotty 10 4,127 08-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Last Post: ohiotom76
  Cats Become Aggressive with Catnip mom21awesomeboy 5 10,550 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Last Post: belgianwriter
  Thoughts on Declawing laurasav 18 6,422 07-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Fishbone