Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dressing up for Halloween?
09-18-2012, 09:40 AM,
Jessi Offline

Threads: 3
Dressing up for Halloween?
[Image: 1Oa0_S0Ba06zuSxwHwhZFw2.jpg]

Do you dress your dog up for Halloween? If you do, do you take him out "trick or treating" or stay at home?

We definitely don't dress ours up. I think he would throw a fit if we even tried. I'm not big on putting dogs in clothes in the first place, though, so I've never tried either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2012, 02:14 AM,
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Dressing up for Halloween?
Aww, that's a cute picture. And he's got the pirate wink down. Big Grin

I dress Gigi up each Halloween. Last year I colored her hair with a mix of red food coloring and water, which dyed it pink. I then made a little thin cone hat so that she could be cotton candy. I did take her out trick or treating, but forget about her keeping her hat on. I still got a lot of compliments on her pink hair, though. Here's a few pictures I took with her cone hat on:

[Image: 009-4.jpg]

[Image: 010-4.jpg]

And here she is with with her fancy schmancy collar:
[Image: 011-2.jpg]
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM,
nick87 Offline

Threads: 5
My family dresses my dogs up for halloween, but only for a short period of time (because that's all that the costumes will stay on them) and mostly just for photos. It's hilarious. They don't like it very much, but they get treats afterwards, so they tolerate us putting them in funny costumes. We don't take them out on halloween though because people in costumes, especially masks, freak them out too much. They do get extra treats though for being good while trick or treaters come to our door.
09-21-2012, 01:02 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Those photos are really cute!

No, I do not dress my dog up for Halloween. Misha does not like clothing at all. I have a little jacket she wears when we go for walks when it is cold. She has been wearing it for two years. She still fights me when I put it on her. Then, when I release her she runs wild around the house trying to shake it off. At least, when we are actually walking she forgets about it.

I'm not one to put clothes on pets. However, she does get cold and it would be nice if she would wear the darn thing. Then, she wouldn't shiver inside.
09-21-2012, 04:56 PM,
sandooch Offline

TreeClimber, Gigi is the exact same way; she hates us putting on costumes, hats, bows, etc... Doesn't she realize that she is a poodle? She was made to be dressed up. LOL

This is why coloring her hair with food color is the perfect costume choice. This year my girls asked me to color her hair gray so that she can be Alfred from Batman. They and their friends want to go as people from the Batman movie. So all Gigi will need is gray hair and a bowtie.

But if it were up to me and Gigi wouldn't struggle to take it off, I found this hilarious Don Draper (from Mad Men) costume that I'd love to put on her. Check it out:
[Image: 140327800-24102956.jpg]
09-21-2012, 05:22 PM,
Nakhash Offline

Threads: 1
I used to try and dress up our dog (Maltese) for Halloween. He just wouldn't have anything to do with it. The darn dog wouldn't even let us pull the hair from his eyes and tie a bow in his hair. He'd rub his head under chairs and tables until he pulled it off. And as for clothing... So as cute as I thought it would be, this pup just refused to cooperate.
09-21-2012, 11:02 PM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Threads: 10
That first picture is just adorable with the dog winking! So cute! I used to have a really cute outfit for my dog when she was just a puppy, but she has outgrown it now. If I do dress up my dog it is usually something handmade. I will usually have my kids decorate a t-shirt and we will throw that on the dog. These are all very unique ideas that are listed here though!
10-04-2012, 05:02 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
I have a friend who loves dressing her dog even when it isn't Halloween. And the dog seems to love it. He would dress in different shirts and vests and that dog would pose while sitting or lying on top of his favorite chair.

I think it's okay, but at the least have the dog wear something appropriate for its gender.

[Image: bowie_hanbok_front_down.jpg]
source

That little adorable dog is a male yorkie terrier. Isn't he cute?
10-09-2012, 05:41 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Sandooch, I'm glad to hear my dog is not the only one that hates clothes! My brother's Yorkie acts like he is a fashion model. He has more clothes than I do. They've never had any trouble putting a sweatshirt or sweat jacket on him, even the type that has to be pulled over his head. Misha acts as if I've developed a new form of torture when I make her wear her jacket.
10-11-2012, 11:50 AM,
sandooch Offline

Scratch Gigi's Alfred Halloween costume. I tried coloring her hair gray and it came out an ugly green (check out my other thread about it for the gory details). So I decided to go with something much simplier. I found a cute gray dog sweater with a ghost on the back of it at TJmax for under $8.00. I would recommend going there instead of Petco or PetSmart. That same sweater would have probably been priced at $25 there. The cool thing is Gigi loves wearing it and gets excited when she sees me take it out. My little tomboy is turning into a girly girl. LOL