LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compulsive disorder in dogs
05-18-2016, 10:49 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
Compulsive disorder in dogs
I have encountered a young dog in a neighbour's compound. It has this tendency to bite at my trouser and I decided to investigate the cause. This might be due to high stress levels or a consequence of frustration. Dogs with this disorder might adopt a certain repetitive behaviour like holding a toy or biting at clothes in order to relieve the stress. Dogs are likely to perform this behaviour again and again due to the reward associated with the action that causes a reduction of the physiologic feeling of stress or frustration. The impulse might become stronger and stronger with time. Dogs with a disorder of chasing their tails might end up injuring their tails. However, you have to distinguish whether its attention getting behaviour or OCD because there can be a thin line between the two. You should videotape your dog to see if it behaves similarly in your absence. Some dogs however are hereditarily predisposed to certain compulsive behaviours. Do you know of such breeds?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2016, 03:29 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Compulsive disorder in dogs
I sometimes observe that in our dogs particularly Pipoy, the hyperactive pug. But it is on rare occasions only. With biting the tail, most of our dogs did that when they were puppies but I never noticed that when they are already adults. Tisoy, our 8-year old spitz sometimes bites the hem of the pants when he wants to call our attention particularly when he wants to go out of the house. But definitely that's on purpose.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Why are dogs and cats the most popular pets? Ram 33 25,856 06-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Last Post: maryannballeras
  Cats vs. Dogs amberra824 25 8,854 06-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Last Post: maryannballeras
  Lifesaver dogs for seniors being tested. Happyflowerlady 0 1,542 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  All Dogs Go To Heaven...but do some go to a dumpster first? shopgirl 4 4,851 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: kindredsoul
  Dogs gone Gangnam Style SweSupy 2 2,937 10-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Jessi