LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phone conversations
07-15-2012, 04:30 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
Phone conversations
Those of you who have or have had birds might relate to the annoyance of trying to carry on a phone conversation while a bird is in the house.
Our Eclectus especially loves to start talking when my husband is on the phone. We've often burst out laughing because the bird will start talking along, like he's part of the conversation. Or he'll make incredibly ridiculous noises just to make us laugh!
The Quaker will sometimes talk along and make comments, as well. But often she'll just start chirping super loud or even screaming. Not funny!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2012, 05:30 AM,
Mudd04 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Phone conversations
Hi! My Senegal Parrot wants to be a part of most phone conversations as well. She will start to respond as if she is the one on the phone having a chat and if she doesn't get any response she will move to whistles, cat calls and the wonderful sounds of ringtones with a 'Hi' or 'What are you doing' thrown in and if there is STILL no response she moves to screeching as loudly and in as high of a pitch as she possibly can.

I am glad that there are other rooms to move the conversation to and she will usually stop if she isn't being stood right in front of and ignored when she wants to be included. I have known many Macaws, African Greys and Amazon's that do the same and have heard them clearly repeating what could only be nearly entire phone conversations from the past.
07-17-2012, 05:48 AM,
laurasav Offline

Wow, your Senegal is serious about being included in on phone conversations!!! LOL I got a big kick out of reading what all she does to get attention while you're on the phone! Too funny! She must be a real character!
Yes, we have often had to move out of the room our birds are in so we can carry on the conversations in peace & quiet! The worst times are those serious, business type calls when the birds start acting up and putting their "two cents" in. We've been asked before if we need to attend to our child. LOL No, it's just our bratty bird! haha
07-28-2012, 02:02 PM,
Mudd04 Offline

Threads: 3
She is a character alright. Her name is Sarg cause she's the boss. They are clowns but wierd and skittish sometimes too. Interesting little birds. She's always gotten along well and enjoyed conversation with a few of my friends Quakers. They can be quite the characters as well. :-)

Do you have a male eclectus I see in that picture there? Or is it something else? Haven't spent tons of time around them and always interested to hear more.
07-29-2012, 05:40 AM,
laurasav Offline

Yes, the bird in the photo, sitting on the chair, is our male Eclectus. We looked into getting a Senegal, among quite a few other parrots, before we ended up getting our Eclectus. Senegals are such cute birds, but we chose the male Eclectus in the end because they're known to be very gentle. Our Quaker is nippy and Senegals can be nippy (the one we were considering buying was very nippy!), and I just wanted a very nice, gentle, talking bird. With the ekkie, he gives you a couple pushes with his beak if he wants to be left alone. If you don't get the hint, then he'll bite - but he always gives fair warning first. He's not really a hard biter either. The Quaker now, that one goes for blood - very nasty biter!
Out of our two parrots, I'd say the Quaker is the more intelligent, but the ekkie is such an amusing little clown.
07-29-2012, 07:23 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Threads: 10
Although I think birds are beautiful animals, I would not be able to handle owning one. They are just too loud for me. They may be cute at some point when they talk, but the constant talking when I do not feel hearing them talk. That is pretty funny that the bird will talk along with you in conversations though! hehe Smile
07-31-2012, 03:14 AM,
laurasav Offline

Yes, parrots are quite loud and can be a distracting nuisance if you're trying to watch TV or talk on the phone. Even having a conversation with my husband can be challenging at times! For some reason, the Quaker really loves to hear my husband and I talking together. Whenever we talk together in the bird room, the Quaker has to carry on this funny, mostly undistinguishable (known as the "Quaker mumble") conversation along with us. It's my husband's voice that mostly triggers this too.