LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hermit Crabs
07-03-2015, 02:39 PM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
Wink  Hermit Crabs
A friend of mine is intent on building a "Crabitat," and buying some hermit crabs. She has done a lot of research about food, safe toys, climbing nets, etc., but she has never owned these creatures before. Has anyone here had hermits, and can you suggest any special care instructions for keeping them healthy and happy. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2015, 12:15 AM,
DancingLady Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Hermit Crabs
My sister had numerous hermit crabs. They had a small little home in a clear box with a mesh top so they couldn't get out on their own. I am not sure what she fed them, but it was whatever the pet store told her to feed them. She took them out pretty regularly so they could explore and walk around farther, but always when she was watching. I don't think they had many toys, just a few things that came in the box/cage, or whatever the right term for that is.

I do not think hermit crabs live all that long even if well cared for. I could be wrong on that, but done of my sister's crabs lived very long lives. I think that is one reason they are good pet for kids, because you do have to care for them and be responsible, but the child isn't making a commitment they must keep until they move out of the house.
07-09-2015, 01:54 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
We actually just brought two home from a beach shop on our vacation to Tybee Island this weekend. Each of my girls, 8 and 11, picked one out and they are sharing a large crab cage we purchased there. Hermie and Hayley. LOL.
This is the first time they've owned them and they are so far doing well. I have owned two before and one only made it a few months but the other lived two years.
We are feeding the ones we have now some food the store gave us for them. I seem to remember giving my one that lived longer some fresh fruit, maybe banana? It's been 15 years so I don't fully remember. I also spent more time with that one, letting it crawl on my bed, misting it regularly and in the winter using a lamp to keep it's tank warm. It was actually in a 10 gallon tank with lots of huts, rocks and caves.
07-14-2015, 02:01 AM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
Thanks for the replies guys! I will pass on the info to her, especially about taking them out of their pen on a regular basis. She is super excited about getting them, and I think she'll make a good "mama." LOL