Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To dock or not to dock
08-01-2014, 08:44 PM,
grarun Offline
Registered

Threads: 3
To dock or not to dock
Some dog breeds need to be docked in order for them to reach the standard for their breed, such as Rotts. While some people are for the idea, others feel that the practice is unnecessary. Personally, I prefer to dock my puppies when they are 2-3 days old, before their nervous system is fully developed. I normally use rubber rings, and so far the results have been good. What do you think? Is it wise to continue with the practice or should it be avoided at all costs?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 06:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014, 06:30 AM by astockd1.)
astockd1 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: To dock or not to dock
What costs are you referring to? I don't see any pros to removing part of a dog's tail, or ears, or anything. If the dog isn't going to be in an environment where having a long tail or ears is dangerous, there's no reason for those body parts to be removed. Hunting dogs would get cropped and docked to avoid injury to those parts, since floppy ears and long tails can get caught on things and are more prone to injury. Fighting dogs would get docked and cropped so that there's less to latch onto or to look more tough. "Breed standards" are stupid, to me. The isn't how the dog was born. It's as pointless as circumcision is in humans, and both are simply a tradition carried on by humans who don't think twice because that's just "how it's done." I feel pretty strongly about bodily autonomy and think it makes no sense unless the ears and tail being long is somehow hazardous to the animal, which can happen, like with hunting dogs. And they do feel the pain- we all know that, but I think it's important. Studies done on humans have shown that feeling intense pain at a very young age, including just days old, actually affects the nervous system development and can cause long-term damage on the brain! I think one study even said it was linked to anxiety disorders later in life. Apart from the tradition aspect, it can also be about money. I go on craigslist frequently and see that people are willing to pay more for dogs that are docked and cropped, and humans are often greedy, so... that perpetuates the tradition, I guess. It makes me sad!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply