LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to stop playing with the curtains
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013, 08:50 PM by trishgl.)
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
How to stop playing with the curtains
We have a new cat and although she's really smart in that it took just a week to house break her she loves playing with the curtains. She'd lay down next to it and start scratching it and playing with it. How can I stop this behavior?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM,
Yatte Offline

Threads: 8
RE: How to stop playing with the curtains
They just love digging imaginary things out of curtains. You could consider getting a scratching post, or using a pet repellent spray on your curtains, My cats all played with the curtains when they were still kittens luckily they outgrew their curtain obsession. You could also consider some toys.
04-02-2013, 07:25 AM,
GavinMcresty Offline

Threads: 0
I have read and seen on television that cats do not like the smell of citrus fruits (such as lemons, limes, oranges and so on). It was recommended that you make a spray by diluting orange oil (or another oil) in water and spraying it onto the areas you would prefer your cat to avoid. It also advised placing the peel/skins of such fruits in flowerbeds if you wanted them to stop using such places as litter trays. It might work if you sprayed something like that on your curtains. I would warn you though that you should provide some kind of alternative. If you "stop" them playing with the curtains, they are likely to start playing with something else such as carpets, sofas or other furniture. We bought a scratching post for our cat and she completely ignored it. Instead, she sharpened her claws on the bed frame and on the carpet we had on the stairs. We did not mind at all (our house looks like a mess anyway) but I should point out that it could happen. Anyway, all cats are different. You might have the odd cat who loves the smell of citrus fruits!
04-09-2013, 05:16 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
I agree with the scratching post suggestion. Any time she starts playing with them you can try to start conditioning her. Here is what I have usually done.

If she is just playing and not scratching. Firstly point, then in a stern voice say NO. If this doesn't work give her a tap on the nose. Continue to do the NO, Tap every time until she recognizes the sounds and associates it with the curtains. You can also try a spray bottle in the face instead of the tap to the face.

If the cat is clawing and scratching, I usually point, say NO, then pick the cat up and move it to a scratching post to show it what it is supposed to do. I will then pet the cat on the scratching post so it knows it is a good place to be, not a bad place like on the curtains.

My cats now never play with my curtains, or scratch anything but their post. They also do not jump on the table, or onto the counter.

I trained them like this, it took some time, but it is worth it, as people can come and eat and enjoy my house in peace without the cats jumping all over them!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My cat won't stop crying! helaofthenorns 3 3,176 10-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Last Post: cyberpuppet
  How to stop my cats from killing birds? helaofthenorns 3 3,044 10-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Last Post: kfander
  How to stop cats fighting? laurasav 4 3,434 09-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Last Post: andrew320
  Video of two cats playing tether ball Thor 3 3,193 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Last Post: ACSAPA