LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insects That Destroy Food & Artifacts
02-19-2013, 12:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM by 4sweed.)
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Insects That Destroy Food & Artifacts
From personal experience we all may have wool clothes that had been ruined by moths, which ate them full of holes or foods that contained some sort of beetle or other insects, that are found in your home destroying your personal items and wondered about these insects and how to control them. Insects like clothes moths and beetles of various types, cockroaches and silverfish, can be found in and around your home bent on ruining your food and household goods.
Perhapes, you would like to control these insects without the use of pesticides but lack the knowledge of how and also the information on the identity of the species of insect you have discovered.
The following website will help in identification of the insects, as well as, how to control and rid your home of these types of insects, and a complete informative article about each insect. I find the website to be very valuable in all of the above and more. I hope you enjoy visiting the website. http://www.insectslimited.com/index
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 03:17 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
RE: Insects That Destroy Food & Artifacts
I am sure many wondered why I would put an article about these types of bugs and how to control them in a pet forum. Some of these bugs can and often are found in dry pet food, as a friend of mine recently discovered. The bag of dog food had not expired and was a type she had purchased before on several occasions. This time her dog developed diarrhea and was vomiting after eating some of the food. Upon closer inspection she found live larvea and egg clusters and worms, in the food. Since her dog was not improving a trip to the vet was necessary. Fluids were given and worm medication, and her dog was not to have food or drink for 24 hours and then only water or broth, then later cooked rice with bits of cooked chicken or beef, until stools were clear of worms.
The pictures and information, in the link I provided speak about insects often thought of as only affecting clothing or non-food items. It is important for your pets health to know which insects can hurt your pets through feed, as well as, having them in your home which can affect your health as well.

The Clothes Moth, which feeds on animal and fish meal and milk powders and most animal products, as well as, the commonly known food of wool.

The Warehouse Beetle feeds on seeds and cereals, corn and cornmeal, plant matter and fish meal. Ingredients found in dry pet food.

The Cigarette Beetle is found in spices and rice, dry pet food as well as in tobacco products.

The German Cockroach can contaiminate both pet food and water. It is found mostly in hot climates, but by means of transportation of food products can often be found in resturants and in dirty living conditions.

The Carpet Beetle feed on seeds and grains and corn products and lay their larvae/eggs into these types of food products that are used in dry pet food.

The Larder Beetle feeds on ham and bacon, various meats and cheese, and dry pet foods. They prefer the fatty parts of meat and this most used in pet foods.

Insects can be a hazzard to your pets health and well being. It is good to know how to idenitify them, as well as, how to protect your home from an invasion of these insects. I hope this information helps in keeping pets safe and healthy by the knowledge about insects that can make pets sick.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you feel guilty when you kill insects? Mantis 35 26,855 10-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Danyel72
  Florida's Stinging & Venomous Insects 4sweed 0 2,556 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 4sweed