LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My hammie: the cage destroyer!
09-17-2012, 09:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2012, 09:19 AM by EvoDoom.)
EvoDoom Offline
Registered

Threads: 2
My hammie: the cage destroyer!
My syrian hamster Gizmo has always been a bar biter, so I decided to shell out £80 for a decent tank.. All was well until she found that she could actually chew on the plastic rim round the top of the lid, I'm at a loss... I have heard about owners putting vinegar and lemon juice on the chewed areas but i'm not sure... Help anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2012, 07:51 PM,
Julie Offline

Threads: 8
RE: My hammie: the cage destroyer!
Try Bitter Lime spray - it is sold in the ferret section of pet shops. You can spray or rub it on where Gizmo chews and it will repel him. You may have to do it a few times before he gets the message. Also, make sure that he has lots of chewing toys and sticks to help to control his constantly growing teeth.
10-24-2012, 02:00 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
I know what this is like from when I had hamsters years ago. Because they are awake at night, while we're trying to sleep, we would hear pinging noises because they would be chewing on the bars. We had to get to the point where we placed them in one of our bathrooms, to keep from hearing the noise. You could try some alternatives such as lime or lemon juice on the bars, or chew toys. Apparently hamsters constantly want to chew to exercise their teeth, since these are constantly growing, I guess their having teething problems. No longer have hamsters by the way, got to the point where we could no longer take the fact the species didn't have a very long life span
11-26-2012, 12:36 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I hope you find a solution. When I was a child, I had a hamster that was an escape artist. He would chew through the top of the cage and work the latch open. I had a metal cage at first, and then, a HabiTrail. No matter the type, he would chew a way out. We used to put a heavy dictionary on top of the door to prevent escape.

He had a habit of getting behind the refrigerator. It was no fun having to pull it out and trying to grab the hamster before it ran behind something else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guinea pig cage too small? richguinea 3 3,702 10-22-2014, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady