LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brainstorm/information help?
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM,
OriJas Offline

Threads: 3
Brainstorm/information help?
I was meaning to do this last week, but a few things came up and I was a little side-tracked offline - but I need some help and input from the dog lover's here.

There's a BBQ at my local community centre here next week. Where the public can express some ideas or bring things into discussion that they'd like to see around the neighborhood and I've been excited to go because I thought perhaps I could offer some volunteer work for some programs. As some may have seen me mention one or two times...Australia really isn't all that "up to speed" with the BYB/puppy/kitten mill problem and so I was thinking about suggesting to hold a information course...or something, I'm not sure what the correct term would be.

Basically, I wanted a few "dog" ideas and after talking to a colleague friend of mine earlier today, she gave me a few great ideas to perhaps ask for an optional donation for a local no-kill shelter. Of course, this is all volunteer just as much as anyone else who works at the centre, but I thought it might be helpful for the community. Perhaps an information seminar of sorts, broken up into a couple of sessions? I've done event organizing before, just not something like this.

I was thinking of something like basic puppy care and first step training too, without dogs of course...but even then I'm not an "educated" trainer. Though, I have been looking into some courses in order to become one.

But what I wanted to ask opinions and advice on, is what else could I offer to do pet-related? Mainly dogs, because I'm more familiar with them. Maybe a dog walking group? Exercise, social interaction between owners and dogs, and making new friends? I should note that a lot of people who attend the community centre's programs are retired or seniors so it won't be many people who would be into anything huge...plus it's a small centre. But, we'll see how the gathering goes with who's participating. For example, they hold cooking classes there each week, obviously not taught by an actual chef. Lol. Stuff like that, but well...animal related.

Another thing I'd like help with...is research information. A little similar to what, BW had a thread about recently with the "number game". Statistics on the dog population overload. I know a few basics (and a few extra now thanks to BW's post) just not all to be informative. How to recognize a BYB, how to um... gently inform them that their "puggle" or "schnoodle" doesn't technically exist. The dangers of designer breeds, that sort of thing.

Is there anything else that I should include? I'll be taking a list of ideas with me so any extra suggestions you can come up with, would be GREATLY appreciated. And of course, I'll definitely give credit and thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Brainstorm/information help?
Workshops for kids on how to be safe around dogs? We're doing that a lot here in the states. The ASPCA or the American Humane Association might have info you could use on their website. A kids story hour reading them a book with a humane treatment of animals theme? Check out RedRover Readers at http://www.Redrover.org. You saay that many of the community center attedees are Seniors; are there many former dog owners? Maybe a doggie play-date with a dog or two of the right temperment? As people are enjoying time with the dogs, you can insert interesting snippets of info. Or stage a question and answer gameshow where the contestants have to answer questions about dogs.
03-22-2012, 05:32 AM,
bw Offline

OriJas, Good luck with that!
As for the designer dog thing, and the gross pet overpopulation problem use the internet and your local library to dig up facts from reputable sites.
Find info about when you mix one breed with another breed you get mixed breeds, mutts. While mutts make great pets, they ARE NOT a new breed. Reputable breeders will never breed them, only the back yard breeder/puppy mill types will breed mutts. Then stick on made up names to sell these mutts for a high price to gullible people.
As for the pet overload, it is astronomical. Again, find all the info you can.
If you would like for me to help you locate information, e-mail me.
03-26-2012, 05:11 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
I think it's great to help shelters- "no" kill and ones with high euthanasia rates as well.

In all though, when there are high kill shelters in a community I hate to see so much support go away from them while the main public focus is on the "no" kill shelters.

Sometimes the shelters that euthanize their own, or on site for others need an extra community boost to HELP get the word out, to HELP improve situations, to HELP get the animals adopted/moved that would otherwise die.

In a way, that's what I'd focus on if the situation fits your area.
04-05-2012, 01:19 AM,
bw Offline

So how did it go?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you look for pet information? Ram 15 5,785 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM