LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets and Social Media Networks
08-20-2012, 06:36 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Pets and Social Media Networks
It's no surprise to have read that 7% of Facebook's user accounts are registered to dogs. 4% are of cats.

Most of my friends' dogs have Facebook accounts. They would post pictures of their latest adventure or mischief. In their pages, they will also share dog related updates.

Does your dog have a Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus account?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 04:37 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Pets and Social Media Networks
Well, I must say poor animals then. When did they consent to having a social media network? I think we should start looking after animals rights instead of acting like they're some doll or piece of property.

I'll post a photo of me and my cat on a website or maybe even Twitter, but I'm not going to create a special account just for the cat, dog or other pet.
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM,
writer811 Offline

Threads: 10
Not a single one of my many animals currently has a social networking account and it surprises me that it's a thing at all. That being said, I might be tempted to make one for my animals but I wouldn't know what to do with it. I can't upload photos or videos so basically it would just be me making status updates about them. It's a cute idea, but it just wouldn't work (At least for me).
08-21-2012, 01:29 PM,
Nakhash Offline

Threads: 1
Yes. My cat has her own Facebook page and Twitter account. I don't necessarily update them too often. She's also my familiar so when she does "post" it's to say something about a spell she's helping me with.
08-22-2012, 07:06 AM,
pugskjj Offline

Threads: 19
Well my dogs don't have a Facebook or Twitter but Kotton (the oldest dog) does have a Dogbook page (it is an app on Facebook i believe) and it is just basically a growing up photo album of her for the people who put her in my life; and I haven't touched it in 3 years. I do have a problem with people setting up these Facebook pages because the majority of the ones I know of do it only to have multiple game accounts.
08-22-2012, 07:03 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
That's kind of funny because I would imagine it's against Facebook's policies, not to mention their interests. They're in the business of gathering and selling people's data - that's why they don't allow alter ego accounts or impersonating someone, or an individual to have multiple accounts.

A friend of mine set up facebook accounts for all of his kids, they're like 1 year old.
09-12-2012, 08:42 AM,
Msmonkeyfeet Offline

Threads: 2
I actually have one friend who gave their dog their own Facebook page and they friend requested me and I declined them. While I love my pets dearly and I have a ton of pictures of them on my Facebook page, I definitely wouldn't go so far as to create a page specifically for them! I think those people may have a tad too much time on their hands.
09-22-2012, 12:00 PM,
JustJenne Offline

Threads: 0
Oh my, no! I barely keep up for myself let alone socializing for a cat too! That seems very odd to me to have a whole account for an animal. Can't they just have an album for them? I have to admit, I am a fan of an animal on Facebook though: Boo. Boo (World's Cutest Dog) is such a cutie I couldn't resist being a fan. If I ever have a Pomeranian then I want it to have "the Boo" haircut so that I can have my own, real-live, teddy bear!
09-22-2012, 02:29 PM,
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
Gigi doesn't have you own Facebook account. I actually put up enough pictures of her on there that she doesn't need one. There are more pictures of her on there than of my own children. lol I don't know if I think the idea of a pet's Facebook account is just the silliest thing I've ever heard or if I think it's hilarious. I only have one friend who has done this with her dog. I guess the first few posts were cute, but now I'm finding it really weird.
09-23-2012, 09:33 AM,
nick87 Offline

Threads: 5
My dogs don't have a social media account because they can't type. And I'm not going to type what I think they'd want to say for them in 3rd person, because I'm not that creepy.
I have a friend who set up their dog account though, and another friend who set up the account for their newborn baby (which is even worse...) The one with the baby friend requested all of her friends, which is going to be REALLY weird when the kid is old enough to read and logs in and sees all the crap we had been posting for the past few years.
09-24-2012, 02:29 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
I too find it weird to talk in the "dog" perspective. Although I have to admit that I often enjoy reading about how their humans perceive their way of life.

I seldom update my dog's Facebook page. And I wouldn't be caught talking as one of them. However, it's fun to write about dogs and I guess that's the prime reason why I also enjoy sharing my accounts with people who I can relate with and who can relate to me.
09-25-2012, 07:33 PM,
Julie Offline

Threads: 8
Like the last 2 people above I find articles and updates and posts "written" by animals or infants very weird. I think that it is simply proud owners who think their pets are so cute that we'd all want to read about what they (the owners) imagine their pets would say if they could talk. No, I don't.

I do enjoy seeing the occasional exceptional photo of pets - but snapshots of animals unknown to me are just as meaningless as snapshots of people unknown to me. The "spoken words" of such unknown animals are even more meaningless.
10-29-2012, 02:31 AM,
pafjlh Offline

So there are people out there who have registered their pets with a Face book account? Well, I guess when you stop to think that some people view their pets as their children, I guess they would want them to have a Face Book account. Personally I wouldn't do this myself, I love my dogs but giving them a Face Book account, no I don't think I would ever do that.
01-02-2013, 03:00 PM,
dziomek Offline

My pets DO NOT have their own social networking accounts. I think that is just nuts. I may occasionally mention a pet in a post or an article I write, but refuse to set up accounts for them. First of all it is pointless, and second of all I have a business to run. If I start making pages for my pets I can guarantee my customers and clients will think I'm "a wee bit off" and stop doing business with me.
01-02-2013, 10:45 PM,
themdno Offline

Threads: 0
It's not a bad idea, because it can be annoying to be friends with someone, and just get tons of pictures of their dog or cat. I don't mind, because I love animals, but I know some people go as far as to delete their friends over these things. I mean, as long as it's just a place to chronicle some pics and videos of your pets, it's no big deal. As long as you're not posting 100 status updates a day, talking like you are the dog, and whatnot.
01-03-2013, 03:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 04:09 AM by jenb128.)
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
Well, I guess some people here would think I'm "odd", "nuts", "a wee bit off", or "have too much time on my hands", because my bird does have a facebook page. It's not a personal page but a "fan page", so it does not violate facebook's TOS in any way. I'm also not treating my bird "like a doll or piece of property." Anyone who really knows me and knows about my relationship with my cockatiel knows that there's NO WAY I feel that way about him.

I did it mainly because of what themdno said - so that those on my friends list who enjoy my pics and statuses about my bird can follow the page, and those who don't care aren't bombarded with the stuff. That being said, Buzzy does have quite a few fans that aren't on my friends list, but I didn't personally solicit for those members at all (the lady who owns the bird store I usually shop at shared his page once).
02-08-2013, 09:12 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
I would never get my cat a facebook page. I guess I am just not in that mentality yet.
When I first heard about people doing this my first reaction was laughter because I didn't think they were being serious.
This just shows how much I care for "pets and their own social media pages". Haha.
Maybe there is a chance that I don't fully understand it, and I secretly am happy I don't.
06-01-2013, 03:39 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

I'm really not a big fan of social media networks, the only reason I have a Facebook account myself is because it's the only way for me to get in touch with some people. So no, I wouldn't make a Facebook account for any of my pets Smile I don't mind the people that do, of course, some people might find it to be a fun hobby. There are a lot of people who make Facebook accounts for their babies, that's really the same thing. I would even be a lot more interested to get status updates from pets then from babies, since they do a lot more, and the pictures would be a lot cuter. Still, I don't have a pet account in my friend list, and I don't plan to befriend some in the near future Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,716 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,778 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,832 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,574 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,027 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,507 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant