LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pigeon-eating catfish in France
07-03-2013, 10:29 PM,
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
Pigeon-eating catfish in France
I just read this unbelievable piece of trivia from a French magazine. The article describes how catfish living in the rivers in Southwest France , specifically along the Tarn River, have learned how to catch pigeons bathing on the banks of the river.
Just go to Youtube and type "Catfish hunt birds" or something like that and you will find some clips of this very spectacular and vicious hunting technique.
The catfish apparently actually beach themselves on the river banks for a few seconds while lunging and grabbing hold of the unsuspecting birds.
I've seen fishermen catching these catfish or "poissons-chats" as we call them in France and they can be enormous, growing over 1.5 metres.
I'm not surprised that these monsters have developed a taste for pigeon. I wouldn't trust to have my puppy anywhere near them!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2015, 11:33 PM,
Sanjok Dangol Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: Pigeon-eating catfish in France
Wow......what a amazing thing you have shared.I liked it and I will search in youtube.Thanks for sharing.)WinkWink;
06-26-2015, 06:44 AM,
Nieris Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
If you like that, there's a River Monsters episode ("European Maneater") about man-eating catfish that might interest you! Some believe the medieval stories of water monsters attacking and killing people are about this catfish.
01-29-2017, 04:42 AM,
Sammie222 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
In Der Spiegel there was also an article about huge wels catfish expanding North Rhine-Westphalia. It can grow up to 10 feet long and weigh over 300 pounds although its pigeon eating is not mentioned.