Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About a Finicky Eater
10-29-2014, 05:21 PM,
goodtaste Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Question About a Finicky Eater
We have two dogs, a male and a female Australian Shepherds. He eats like a vacuum cleaner, but she is a very finicky eater. And sometimes we worry that she's not getting enough food. At the last Vet visit, they were totally healthy, but one always worries... Huh
Any suggestion to entice her to eat her supper? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2014, 08:12 PM,
cyberpuppet Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Question About a Finicky Eater
(10-29-2014, 05:21 PM)goodtaste Wrote: We have two dogs, a male and a female Australian Shepherds. He eats like a vacuum cleaner, but she is a very finicky eater. And sometimes we worry that she's not getting enough food. At the last Vet visit, they were totally healthy, but one always worries... Huh
Any suggestion to entice her to eat her supper? Thanks!

If the vet says her weight is correct I would be grateful you have a dog that regulates its own intake and does not have to be watched for gorging. People have far more problems with dogs over eating and putting on too much weight. Just make sure that you offer good quality food, that she has time and space to eat and dont worry too much. Obviously if she loses weight you will want to get her rechecked but at the moment it sounds like she knows what she is doing.
02-10-2015, 06:35 PM,
Dillydally Offline

Threads: 0
I have this same issue with my male Dalmatian but my vet said the samething. I agree with cyberpuppet we are lucky. Dogs that over eat are the norm. I just keep an eye on my boy's weight. If he's getting a bit too thin, like I can see his ribs slightly more, I will add in some wet food he loves. It's really hard dealing with this problem and the worry because normally you hear about dogs that love everything!
02-22-2015, 11:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM by pandabear1991.)
pandabear1991 Offline

Threads: 3
The baby you see pictured here as my avatar gave me the same problem. I found that she ate more table scraps than she would dog food, it didn't matter what they were. However, I did have a hard time getting her to eat cheaper branded dog food period.

I had decent results with the Purina Be Happy, but I felt she wasn't getting enough nutrition here, even though she maintained a healthy weight all the time.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21312043?www=t...irect=true

She did acquire a preference for the Diamond Naturals, especially while pregnant. They carry puppy brand if you have pups. I never could find this brand at retail stores. Usually at co-ops, farmer stores, and local animal stores.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/product.jsp?i...=bing_plas