LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Balm and Hot Spots?
03-03-2014, 05:33 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Tiger Balm and Hot Spots?
My sister's dog was very itchy the last two weeks. They came home one day and she chewed up a spot in her back. When they took her to the groomers a couple of days later, the groomer refused to bath her because she had hot spots and the wound from biting. She thought the shampoo would be too painful.

She offered to clip back the hair, clean the wound, and treat the area. She treated the area with neosporin (or something like that). Then put Tiger Balm on it. If Tiger Balm isn't know in your area, you usually use it for muscle pain.

Has anyone used Tiger Balm for this purpose? I tried to find information on the internet, but there doesn't seem to be anything on this usage.

It did seem to help. They only used it the first two days. The dog was very calm once it was applied and didn't bother her wound.

We did ask the veterinarian on how to treat it when my sister and I were there last week. She did not recommend the usage of Tiger Balm. She recommended using neosporin or polysporin and applying a cortizone lotion. (They do have a special prescription powder to help the hot spot dry out and heal--but the area is already dried out.)

Anyway, I am curious if anyone has ever heard of using Tiger Balm to treat hot spots on a dog? If so, what does it do exactly? It just doesn't seem like something you'd want anywhere near an open wound.

(I wouldn't recommend trying this if your dog has hot spots. Ask your veterinarian first. The whole things doesn't make sense to me at all.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Hot Dog JudyCap 3 2,331 08-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Last Post: astockd1
  Does your dog prefer the cold or hot? dashboardc33 7 3,928 11-23-2012, 02:07 AM
Last Post: pafjlh