LoginRegister

Poll: Do you believe pets can read human emotions?
Yes.
No.
I do not know.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Can pets read human emotions?
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM,
mariann Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Can pets read human emotions?
Yes pets can read humans emotions which other humans cannot understand. I think pets are more reliable than the human beings and they lovable too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 03:19 AM,
Jaimalita06 Offline
Registered

Information  RE: Can pets read human emotions?
I definitely think that pets can read human emotion and even human illness. The reason behind my answer is that I have two dogs and any time I am upset or not feeling well, my small dog will want to lay in my lap or he will stay very close to me until I am feeling better. But he is my daughter's dog and he is very loyal to her, so he normally chooses to be close to her. Same goes for my big dog, but generally she spends her time with all who live in our home.
05-30-2015, 03:46 PM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
My boyfriend and I were seriously JUST discussing this last night!
I honestly believe some do. One of mine does. I have two dogs and one is very much the stereotypical big, goofy, loyal dog while the other is a stereotypical fiesty small dog.
Big goofy Rosie seems to know when my anxiety is about to flare up even before I do. I have panic disorder and she immediately calms down from playing and comes to cuddle me. She knows when I am sick, also. I sometimes think she is just connected to me in some way.
07-04-2015, 09:30 PM,
Aradhya Offline

Yeah!! Dogs and cats are among few pets that can read human emotions. Certain changes happen in the odor, body shape, body language, mood and behavior of humans can easily be noticed by pets. It’s my personal experience. My Labrador can understand my emotion. When I feel sad or happy, he also feels the same with me.

There are few studies in this regard that you must read:

https://www.petsworld.in/blog/study-says...-dogs.html

http://www.pet360.com/dog/behavior-and-t...09W06XFiyw
07-05-2015, 05:35 PM,
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
I definitely feel that pets are in-tune to human emotions. My pets are snugglers, but with my dog especially I'm not always the first choice to go to for a snuggle. I don't stay still enough for him because I'm restless all the time. But I've been having some really hard times recently, and when I cry or feel sad he always comes over to me and stays by my side, and he gives me lots of kisses to try to cheer me up. My cat is the same. While the dog is often downstairs, my room is upstairs, and the cat prefers to sleep up here. When I start having a break down she's usually the first to notice, so she's the first to run over to me and curl up on my lap, purring and comforting me.

I think animals can also sense when a human is sick. When my mum had the flu a while back, the dog didn't leave her side for one moment. She stayed in bed for days, and he only left her side for meals and bathroom breaks. Other then that, he wanted to be there with her the whole time. He does the same when my illness gets particularly bad.
11-09-2015, 03:42 PM,
nailah783 Offline

Threads: 3
I believe that pets read your emotion because they seem to come around you when you are sad or unhappy showing their support. I feel like when you are happy, they seem to get more excited. When you get scared, they want to hide with you. I think they know even if they don't have the knowledge to know what those emotions are. What I mean is that they know that we are having those emotions even though they don't know what the emotion is exactly.
11-12-2015, 10:57 AM,
lexinonomous Offline

Threads: 2
I think that animals are well aware of what's going on. I don't think we give them enough credit for how in tune they are with our emotions. My dogs seem to get depressed when I'm depressed, especially when I am crying. I cannot tell you how many times I have experienced my pets cuddling me while I was going through a rough time. I didn't have to call them over to me, they just knew by instinct and laid with me. I think it would be silly to assume that they had no way of sensing our emotions. I believe that they can see as much emotion in us as we can in them.
11-23-2015, 05:43 PM,
TamannaKhare Offline

Yeah, in fact study found that pets can read our emotions if we talk about dogs, dogs can read our facial expressions arisen simply because they have had longer to adapt to life with humans, and can understand very well whether we are shouting on them or we are calling them or we are happy with them. and if we take cat then cat can easily pick up how we are feeling.
11-30-2015, 07:04 PM,
peidi Offline

Threads: 2
When I feel sad, my god will stay with me and ask my touch. Like he's in with my sadness and comfort me.
11-30-2015, 07:49 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

Threads: 1
I wish that my dog was capable of that, but he's not, sadly. He's been in an abusive home before he got thrown away on the train station where we found him. It took us about 3 weeks to be able to capture him in order to take him to vet (even though he was starving and slowly dying from babesiosis). It took him three years to not be terrified whenever someone laughed, or made a sudden move, or a broom fell to the floor and the like. He's still a very shy and calm dog. He was clearly beaten.
Altough I know that he loves us dearly, he doesn't understand what it means if someone is crying. He never got the chance to develop emotion-reading skills.
I know that many dogs - and animals in general - are great at reading human emotions.
12-07-2015, 10:07 AM,
PatriciaSilva Offline

It's hard for me to get angry, but my dog knows when i am for sure!!! He feels scared Hide and i feel guilty then...
02-02-2016, 03:41 AM,
thash1979 Offline

I am not sure every pet can read our emotions and thoughts. My family used to have a Great Dane. We had him from the time he was a puppy up until last year. He was a dog that we treated like another family member. He could tell when one of us was sad or upset. He would come up and try to lick our faces. When i was pregnant, he would lay right next to me in the bed while I was having false contractions or just feeling emotional. His presence was so calming. I felt like this dog's soul was one with us. Last summer, when my daughter was walking him, he was struck and killed by a speeding car. We felt the impact in the house. It was literally like a piece of us has been lost since.
04-01-2016, 06:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM by remnant.)
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I believe pets can go beyond human emotions to even read your character. For instance, they know who amongst the family members is temperamental, kind or generally laid back. For instance, my mother is a type A personality and sort of a perfectionist. They maintain a collected disposition in her prescence but become flirtatious in my prescence.

I believe pets can go beyond human emotions to even read your character. For instance, they know who amongst the family members is temperamental, kind or generally laid back. For instance, my mother is a type A personality and sort of a perfectionist. They maintain a collected disposition in her prescence but become flirtatious in my prescence.
05-08-2016, 03:16 PM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
I really think that they can and I have a few experiences to prove it. When a friend of mine passed away and I cried, my aunt's toy poodle named Sandy came up to me and began licking my hand. She was just in a corner asleep when I heard the sad news. I felt really sick that time and I had put my head on my forearm and just started sobbing. The next thing I knew, Sandy was there as if she's comforting me. This is what prompted me to get my own dog, a shih tzu I named Clio. It's just amazing how dogs can feel and give you the support you need just like a person would.
05-12-2016, 09:44 AM,
heavymetalkilos Offline

Animals are really sensitive to emotions and they tend to see people's true intentions better than any human could. It's a wonderful thing and that's one of the reasons we should credit animals more. I personally have seen it myself with the animals I've been with. When I was having some hard times with myself my hamster, even as a small pet, started to make noises in her cage so I could notice her and she'd jump on my hand and curl into a ball because she could sense something was wrong. My dog on the other hand likes to come lay next to me and headbutt my arm, like letting me know she's there for me.

It's a wonderful thing, I need to admit - and it's not just only related to sad emotions. To all types of ones. I'm really fascinated about this whole thing, I gotta say!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,832 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant