Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upside-down Catfish
06-12-2013, 07:45 PM,
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
Upside-down Catfish
Hi!

I'm very interested in rearing Synodontis nigriventris, also known as the Blotched upside-down catfish. I like the fact that they are schooling fish and tend not to disturb the other fish in a tank. I find their behavior to be utterly fascinating! Even the coloration on their ventral regions are darker than their dorsal regions, an adaptation for camouflage while swimming upside-down near the water surface. The sight of a small school of these fish living their lives mostly upside-down is amazing.

Also, I've read that they are omnivorous and will feed on pellets, live and even freeze-dried worms. They even eat algae off the aquarium, doubling as a cleaner fish.

I would like to know if there are suppliers for this species in Western Europe (specifically France) and if it is possible to breed them in captivity?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2013, 01:01 AM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Upside-down Catfish
Reference Upside Down Cats they are certainly available in the UK, I used to sell them myself and that was some years ago now. I would think that a good aquatic retailer in your town or nearest city (France) would stock them, they always used to be a popular fish for the community tank.
Breeding however I have no idea. Some internet research may give you the answer to that one.
07-03-2013, 10:11 PM,
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Upside-down Catfish
(07-03-2013, 01:01 AM)TheBrit Wrote: Reference Upside Down Cats they are certainly available in the UK, I used to sell them myself and that was some years ago now. I would think that a good aquatic retailer in your town or nearest city (France) would stock them, they always used to be a popular fish for the community tank.
Breeding however I have no idea. Some internet research may give you the answer to that one.

Thanks, TheBrit!

I've been reading up on them a lot on the Internet and they are fascinating. Yes, they are quite popular with tropical aquarium enthusiasts in France and as they tend to leave other fish alone, they're good for keeping in large community tanks. I've been joining some cool French forums dedicated to tropical aquariums and exotic fish species.
I do not think I'll take the trouble to breed them just yet but I will definitely get a small school or at least a pair for my own tropical aquarium.
These adorable little guys will definitely bring back memories of my childhood, growing up in the tropics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catfish remnant 0 1,516 05-21-2016, 04:38 AM
Last Post: remnant
  The Armored Catfish 4sweed 3 7,274 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  The Walking Catfish Exotic Species 4sweed 2 4,584 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Last Post: 4sweed