LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to help itchy skin, losing fur.
12-27-2012, 11:43 AM,
jenzshoppin Offline

Threads: 2
How to help itchy skin, losing fur.
I have a 2 year old Chihuahua that is itching a couple of spots that are at his lower back, just above his hip. The areas are red and losing fur. It seems like his back is itching him at times as he lays on his back and wiggles on the carpet to itch his back.

I have tried switching shampoos to an anti-itch formula, use a spray to treat itchy skin and just recently changed his food. We were feeding both dogs (we have another dog who is a papillon mix) Dog Chow and recently switched to Nutro Natural Care Small Breed. I notice that their fur is shinier, but the Chihuahua is still itching a bit (not as bad as before).

It has only been a week and a half since the food change. Should I try a different food or give this food more time?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2012, 12:39 AM,
Molly Offline

Threads: 4
RE: How to help itchy skin, losing fur.
I would check with your dog's vet. I could be something more serious than just needing to switch shampoo. Not to scare you but I would just call your dog's vet about any advise as to why your Chihuahua is itchy plus the areas are red and losing fur. Perhaps a prescription is needed.
At least a phone call to your dog's vet would help you decide what is best to do.
12-30-2012, 01:58 PM,
FlanneryCam Offline

Threads: 4
I second the advice to call your vet.

My dog Nix was doing the same thing. So I called the vet. He had red lumps on his body all over and he was scratching them until they bled and scabbed over. My vet overreacts to everything, but I still usually bring my dog in when she suggests it.

In the end, we had a mite problem. Not regular mites. Some sort of rabbit mite that rarely infects dogs. It was a crazy long, expensive process to solve. But Nix is furry and happy again.

Is you dog on any flea/heartworm stuff? I had to switch to Revolution because Revolution kills mites but Heartguard doesn't.
01-01-2013, 10:18 AM,
tinkadove Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
The vet is always the best option.
My dog (min pin mix) experienced some of the same symptoms, hair loss, itching, redness, and a foul odor. I later found out he had a grain allergy, I've switched him to a grain free dog food and also give him 1/4 cup of plain yogurt everyday. I would say that about a week later I started noticing a change. It's been over two months and he is completely back to normal, occasionally he starts to itch and I immediately put a little bit of olive oil on the spots. It seems strange but it works for me and my dog, every dog is different thought so first things first call the vet. Smile
01-02-2013, 01:37 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
I wonder if this is something that is commonly associated with this breed of dog. The reason I say this is our first Chihuahua Buddy had the same problem. He actually had dry red patches of skin that he would itch and it caused him to start losing his fur as a result.

My brother took him to the vet and Buddy was given a special lotion to use. Only problem there were times when he wanted to lick it off and we weren't sure if it would be harmful for him. My brother started to use Aloe Vera gel,in its purest form. What I mean by purest form is some of the ones commonly seen in stores contain alcohol. So, we went online and found one that was 100% natural. This was important because if Buddy tried to lick it off, the Aloe wouldn't be harmful to him according to the vet. In the end the Also Vera did help and he got over the skin irritation. We were never sure what really caused it, and he never got it again.
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM,
LovingMyBabies Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I definitely agree to take the dog to the vet but also if your not doing so already, my Rott/Lab was having dry skin problems and we put her on Fish Oil. I swear it is like a miracle! Her skin problems are SO much better and her fur is much shinier. Smile
01-12-2013, 08:12 AM,
jenzshoppin Offline

Threads: 2
Thanks for the advice.

I changed the food to Natural Choice and the itching has stopped. Both of my dogs' fur is much shinier now too.

If starts up again we will go to the vet.

Whenever I put anything on the area that was itchy he licks it off. I should try the Olive Oil until it totally heals.
03-03-2013, 08:49 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
Our chow chow would also scratch a lot and then start to lose fur so we took her to the vet. The Vet said that it was because of a ticks although she did not have a lot, the scratching was making her lose hair. She was given frontline a once a month flea and tick treatment and a herbal shampoo instead of the commercial brand. The Vet also changed her dog food to a high nutrition one (a.k.a. more expensive one) because according to the vet hairy dogs need more nutrition because their fur needs a lot of vitamins etc. and if they don't get it the skin suffers because it won't have enough nutrition and that may cause hair loss.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is There A Good Shampoo For A Stinky, Itchy Dog? HillCritters 5 3,934 07-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: TheaR
  Skin problems in dogs remnant 2 2,496 06-30-2016, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Purse Out of Dog Fur helaofthenorns 1 2,246 09-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Fur styling at Petsmart? TreeClimber 0 1,471 03-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Last Post: TreeClimber
  The Importance of the Fur Remover haopee 5 3,652 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Last Post: haopee