LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to control odor?
06-04-2012, 08:04 PM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
how to control odor?
ive had my geckos for 3 days and their tank smells something terrible already. the male defecated only twice that i know of, and each time it was half clear and half white and super slimy, i know in chameleons this means parasites, but what about leopard geckos? chameleons never smell unless they have parasites, so im not used to this lol.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 02:27 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
RE: how to control odor?
Well, my geckos have a little smell to them right after they go, but it dries quickly, it is usually half white (the urates) & half brown. Super slimy as in doesn't dry fairly quickly? Do you have access to an affordable vet you can get a fecal done at? I would be concerned about parasites too. Unfortunately, the way they are housed and shipped at places like petco, parasites can be very common. It could just be the overall stress of being there, and being moved around constantly. But I think the fecal would be a good idea. A good number of common parasites can be treated fairly safely with panacur, but it would be best to find out what you are treating first.
06-05-2012, 02:34 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
(06-05-2012, 02:27 AM)Fishbone Wrote: Well, my geckos have a little smell to them right after they go, but it dries quickly, it is usually half white (the urates) & half brown. Super slimy as in doesn't dry fairly quickly? Do you have access to an affordable vet you can get a fecal done at? I would be concerned about parasites too. Unfortunately, the way they are housed and shipped at places like petco, parasites can be very common. It could just be the overall stress of being there, and being moved around constantly. But I think the fecal would be a good idea. A good number of common parasites can be treated fairly safely with panacur, but it would be best to find out what you are treating first.

yea, i am convinced its parasites, especially with how skinny the male is and the female is not. he may have them, but she may not and may possibly get them. ive been trying to find a vet to do fecals for years, but the only place is the blair animal hospital which charges close to $200 a visit, even if they dont do anything. so if i get the male a fecal, id have to get the female one as well...
06-05-2012, 04:04 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I can't remember if you said where you were, PA? Sometimes you can find a small vet to do fecals who doesn't necessarily do reptiles. The livestock vets are a very good option for this, if you cam find one to do a smear, or a smear and a float. I remember you taking about horses, and maybe you could find a rural livestock vet. I can give you some good advice and assistance treating them yourself, if you can get a definitive answer as to what parasites your treating. The tests are pretty much the same, as is identifying the parasites, so really any vet can do that.

The other option is to learn to do this yourself. This is a very good book. I would recommend buying a used copy from amazon and reading it either way.
And this is a good site with info on how to do this yourself, as well as selling allot of the supplies.