LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golden Banana Silk Spiders
02-21-2013, 04:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 04:28 AM by 4sweed.)
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Golden Banana Silk Spiders
When I lived in south Florida, I photographed plenty of insects and spiders. I had a golden silk spider that was close to my front door and had spun a 12 foot wide web around the opening of my porch. I observed the relationship this spider had with her mate who was tiny in size compared to her who was 5 inches in length. When mating they hung upside down and face to face. She laid egg clusters that were bound in soft golden yellow silk strands. As I moved around her taking photo's she never showed any type of aggressive behavior, in fact she almost seemed to enjoy the attention.
Golden silk spiders eat grasshoppers and dragonflies, locust and house flies, although they are know to eat whatever gets caught in there webs.
The only enemy is the wasp. Golden Banana Silk Spiders are found in Florida and the Carolinas, Central America and South America and Argentina.
They make good outside pets for as long as you do not tear down their webs they will remain in the area.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 07:04 AM,
SereneScales Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Golden Banana Silk Spiders
I've always had a love/fear relationship with these spiders, and I don't really know why. I'm not arachnophobic..I've kept tarantulas and handled them so it's not really that and I know these guys are harmless, it's just there is something about them that sends a chill down my spine lmao. But they are very beautiful and a big part of the ecosystem we have down here in the south east
Find all posts by this user
07-25-2013, 01:16 PM,
KeiraSeekamp Offline
Registered

Threads: 2
RE: Golden Banana Silk Spiders
I think photographing these insects is quite interested but i can't have them near me. They can be dangerous and touching them is really a scary feeling.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spiders as pets? remnant 1 2,158 05-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  What Do You Feed Spiders? Tribie 4 3,545 12-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: kfander
  small longer living insects besides spiders jared185 3 2,855 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Thor
  Spiders The CatDog 2 2,246 06-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Last Post: The CatDog