LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudi, the deaf pit, learns sign language
05-27-2013, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 10:51 PM by cmdr-apollo.)
cmdr-apollo Offline

Threads: 2
Rudi, the deaf pit, learns sign language
This is the cutest story!

From the article:
Quote:The energetic young “pit bull”-mix loves to play and loves the attention of her owner, Angi Holt-Parks, who lives in the Point Place neighborhood of Toledo.

But Rudi has a disability: She’s deaf. Ms. Holt-Parks and her husband, Don, are learning American Sign Language — the same used by and with deaf people — and teaching it to the dog to communicate with her.

So far, she has learned the hand signals for “potty,” “no,” “good girl,” “love,” and “sit,” she said.

The couple adopted the dog from the Lucas County dog warden, where Ms. Holt-Parks is a volunteer. “After working with her and walking her, I saw she had a lot of potential,” she said. “She just wasn’t given the chance by anybody because she was deaf. She kept getting looked over. I was constantly thinking about her and even did some research online about deaf dogs and sign language before I got her.”

This woman has such wonderful patience. I don't know of many people who would work so hard to care for a dog like this. And, I'm glad to see pits in a positive light in the media - such a surprise!

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2013/05...mands.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Rudi, the deaf pit, learns sign language - by cmdr-apollo - 05-27-2013, 10:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Pup learns to walk! So cute! thegrey 0 1,551 07-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Last Post: thegrey
  Lawyer Provision for Pit Bull's Defense haopee 2 1,945 12-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Last Post: Molly
  Pit bull dog pulled her unconscious owner off the train tracks Ram 3 17,370 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Ram