LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Haven't Seen Any Rat Owners On Here Yet
07-25-2014, 10:05 AM,
Devichan Offline

Threads: 1
RE: I Haven't Seen Any Rat Owners On Here Yet
I want a pair of rats so very much, but I currently have five cats with high prey drives and I just can't see the two species getting along well enough to make it work. I don't want the ratties to be terrified all the time by the predators lurking outside their house, and I don't want my cats to try to kill the rodent members of the family.

I do see people here have made that work. Did your cats simply not have high prey drives, or did you train them somehow to stay away from the rats? If so, how? Smile

Assuming this could be worked out, I understand that rats are social critters and it's best to have a same-sex pair at least. Also, they need a lot of stimulation and love. How big of a cage is recommended? (I really don't want them to have a cramped space.) Do they enjoy those running-around-the-floor balls or is it better to have them free to climb all over you when they're out of the cage? Is it better to save them from a pet store or try a rodent rescue? (I know there are books out there for things like this, but I also want to learn from others' experiences.)

How long did your rats live? I understand the lifespan is about three years. I don't want to make anyone sad, but how do you cope when they reach the end of their lifespans?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Haven't Seen Any Rat Owners On Here Yet - by Devichan - 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying a Rat JaimieSkye 1 1,815 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Msmonkeyfeet
  Moisture on my Rat's Whiskers writer811 0 1,464 08-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Last Post: writer811