LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throwing Up on a Daily Basis
01-22-2013, 06:48 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis
Cats should not be throwing up on a daily basis.

Cats do not get much water from regular cat food, and tend not to drink very much, so throwing up every day can seriously harm a cat's health if it becomes dehydrated! You can check for dehydration by pulling up you cats lips (do cats have lips?!) and looking at the colour of their gums, anything other than a pink means your cat is dehydrated.

As for the reason for the throwing up, well my cat for example, threw up about once a day for a series of 4 months, and like you, we thought it was normal. Turns out my guy had Inflamed Bowel Disease. He lost 4lbs of weight (taking him down to 6lbs..and he is a RagDoll cat), and started pooping blood, not eating and hiding. I thought he was a gonner.

Took him to the vet, and they couldn't work out what was wrong, as with cats it can be so many things, and we gave him steroids, and changed his food and he started eating again. This happened about 6 months ago, and he hasn't vomited since. My advice is just know your cat and look for behavioral changes as these can tell you way more than the vet.

That's just my story, here are some common reasons cats throw up (I researched this for so long when my guy was sick)

- Eating too Fast - Cats sometimes get excited and gulp down their food too fast, this causes them to throw up. To prevent this happening you can put the food off the ground a little forcing the cat to lift its head up to eat - forcing it to flow down, or buy a bowl that has bumps to slow down the eating. This vomit would be food coloured and would likely have lumps of undigested food in it.

- Hair Balls - Cats lick, cant digest the hair and it builds up. To prevent this, keep your cat brushed well, and if it is still a problem you can feed them a little laxatone or even patrolium jelly to prevent it sticking. This would look similar to the vomit from eating too fast, but their would be soild lumps in it which would be hair.

- Paracite - If the cat has parasite it will throw up. In this case the vet would have to be the one to test for you, you would need a fresh poop sample, or even a blood test to see this. This vomit would be food (no lumps), yellow, or clear coloured. Yellow and Clear coloured vomit means the cat is throwing up on an empty stomach, this is when checking for dehydration is important.

- Blockage - If the cat has eaten something it shouldn't such as a plastic bag, that is causing a blockage in the stomach. This is very common, and an xray from a vet won't show something like this as the plastic is see through! In this case you need to watch the cat. Look and see if there is any stress when the cat goes to the bathroom, of if you can remember the cat chewing anything, particularly plastic bags. Laxatone will also help to try and remove the blockage by greasing up the cats insides. Increasing fibre in the diet can also help.

Sadly though, some cats just throw up all the time, but i believe, personally, that there is an underlying cause, such as an intolerance to something in the food, or a mild allergic reaction.

Like I said, once we switched food, the vomiting stopped almost immediately

Good luck, I hate having a sick cat Sad.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by VJNatale - 09-13-2012, 03:04 AM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by Fishbone - 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by VJNatale - 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by TreeClimber - 09-14-2012, 04:12 AM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by VJNatale - 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by andrew320 - 11-17-2012, 05:36 AM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by JaimieSkye - 12-08-2012, 08:38 AM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by scotty - 01-22-2013, 06:48 AM
RE: Throwing Up on a Daily Basis - by 4sweed - 02-13-2013, 06:35 AM