LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spay/neuter?
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM,
OriJas Offline

Threads: 3
RE: spay/neuter?
I'm largely passionate about responsible ownership, so yes. However at the same time, no. When Ori came to me, I had the intent on showing him as a fun activity for us both. It would have gotten me out of the house a little more, given me a hobby to pursue and have a chance to meet new people. However my anxiety got the best of me soon after, along with some personal issues that arose, and last year he was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia. My vet has for some reason advised that besides cancers that I can keep an eye out for myself, as long as Jasmine is spayed there's no immediate reason to have him "fixed.

Jasmine however, is definitely spayed, as much as she WOULD have been show quality I just couldn't bare the thought that if she and Ori ever rutted at ANY time, I am not knowledgeable enough in breeding and I think "oops" litters are completely the fault of the owners. Not to mention the fact that Ori has Hip Dysplasia and I'm not that cruel to produce puppies who wouldn't be 100% sound. Plus the risk at every heat of pyrometra, mammary cancer which I've been told is a LOT more dangerous than testicular, the mess and the fact I am NOT financially prepared to breed correctly, is my reasons. I rent in public housing, and while I can always find the money to look after the two of them when the time arises, I'm not ready to breed. However, I have been thinking about it in the far future once I learn properly and have all my bases covered.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry too much about the mating stuff with Ori, he's much to lazy and placid to actually care about any female in heat, no matter how close she would be. This is a dog who once ran for cover from a yipping minature Silky Terrier at the dog park and runs from stuffed toys. My vet just advised me if at any time something seems off, bring him straight in, and as long as I know him well enough to be confident he won't suddenly "take off" at a first sniff, it should be okay. This was when his hips were being tested though, and he highly advised that now I know, to get Jasmine spayed ASAP, which she was at 8 months.

Do I agree that owners should have their dogs (and even cats) spayed/neutered? Yes. Especially if they don't have the knowledge to breed, the finances, the credentials, or the time to breed. The world doesn't need anymore "oops" or badly bred puppies...we have too many already. In my defense, I can at least say that my dogs are controlled at ALL times, and have been to the vet for more check-ups and tiny tiny "issues" more times than I even attended school. Lol. I'm sure my vet will be telling me to buzz off soon.

Last vet phone call as an example:

"Jasmine's head is too small for her breed, why isn't she stocky and growing? I need to change foods!"
"She's on the best food she can be, I'm sure she's fine"
"But Ori was the size he is now at her age, and she's got a tiny head!"
"*sigh* She's FINE, Amy. Bring her in if you're worried."
"How's this afternoon sound? Her hair's looking a little thin on her back strip too..."

So yeah, worry-wart mom here! Lol.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
spay/neuter? - by bw - 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
RE: spay/neuter? - by Onyx - 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
RE: spay/neuter? - by bw - 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM
RE: spay/neuter? - by OriJas - 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
RE: spay/neuter? - by bw - 03-08-2012, 12:38 AM
RE: spay/neuter? - by Karenskatz - 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
RE: spay/neuter? - by Ram - 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM
RE: spay/neuter? - by Karenskatz - 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM