LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My homemade rack and it's inhabitants. (DUW)
05-05-2012, 01:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM by Fishbone.)
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
RE: My homemade rack and it's inhabitants. (DUW)
They are very educated, they seem to have me trained. Smile

I am pretty big on value, and I always look for the cheapest way to do things without sacrificing anything the animals need. That rack cost $80 for the shelf, $35 each for two melamine sheets, the flexwatt, wiring supplies, and electrical wiring were around $75, $8 for the foil tape. So less than $250 to keep up to 15 containers. 10 32 litres & 5 64 litres.

They do look like chopsticks, don't they Big Grin I had to modify one of my standard 32 litre boxes, which most have two PVC perches like this:

[Image: IMG_20120504_224944.jpg]

They were a little to wide in diameter for that little one. You want a perch they can get a good grip around, a good tail wrap for them to be secure, else they can stress easy. be reluctant to feed, etc... So I added two smaller perches crossed in there. They are actually the rods from two finished wooden coat hangers that somehow ended up in my house from a hotel. I shan't deny it, I proudly utilize junk. As long as it safely serves its purpose and is healthy for the animal.

Newspaper is the same theory. If you have a display tank or cage, it certainly doesn't look as nice, but it is effective, easy to clean, for arboreal species in need of more humidity it can hold enough moisture for a day, & it's cheap for raising snakes. All of my tanks have either coconut fiber, fir bark (sold as orchid bark at home depot, and repti-bark and other things at pet stores for a greatly increased fee), or vinyl flooring.

Not a pet store yet Smile I'd be lying if I said the idea hasn't crossed my mind. I'll probably just sell at shows and online.
Sorry, the plants are silk mostly, some plastic. Once again, very expensive in the pet store, so I started buying them at Michael's and Jo-Ann's fabrics. Then I went even cheaper and found a guy at the flea market who sells large bunches of the stuff for $2.00 that cost $10 - $15 at the craft stores. I really purchase most of the things for my animals at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and the flea market. I need to write a book on how to care for reptiles on 1/4 of the money.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My homemade rack and it's inhabitants. (DUW) - by Fishbone - 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm a daddy, leopard geckos just hatched!! (DUW!!) Fishbone 20 10,597 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Last Post: purplecapricorn